Instruction question - gift?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by relapse98, Oct 13, 2010.

1. relapse98

relapse98 Registered User

I would like to know whats proper.

The brother instructing me of course is spending as many hours as I am. After I'm done, that will be an great number. Is it proper to get him a gift to thank him of giving me his time?

Thanks,

relapse98

2. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely! I bought a Masonic watch for my instructor.

3. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

I gave a Masonic pocket knife to a guy that regularly helps me. I think it is a nice gesture.

4. Jamesb

Jamesb Registered User

In addition to getting the gift of the Work from my instructor; he is one of my best friends (now) I bought him a key fob like mine.

5. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Gifting is an awesome idea, I got my instuctor a masonic pocket knife as a thank you.

6. Bro.BruceBenjamin

Bro.BruceBenjamin Premium Member

I got mine dinner. Although as you get older all of your money is stored up front in the belly lol.

7. David Duke

David Duke Premium Member

A gift would be good and I bought my instuctor one (a masonic knife) and he was very appreciative but it wasn't until I had taught my first student all three degrees that he told me we were even. In other words he wanted me to "pay it forward".

8. mark!

mark! Guest

I honestly believe the greatest gift would be to pay it forward. I gave my teacher a masonic wall clock, and numerous lunches. I just asked him if there was anything masonic related that he wanted, or had his eye on. The clock was something he'd always wanted but never got for some reason.

9. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

I gave my instructor a GLoT belt buckle.

10. 6229 MAC

6229 MAC Registered User

Any act of gratitude for time well spent is a TRUE Masonic virtue...
    Great question and the response is equal.

11. MacFie

MacFie Registered User

I pyrographed the square and compasses into a piece of pine

12. S.Courtemanche

S.Courtemanche Premium Member

I gave mine a masonic points cover for his bike.

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Premium Member

I gave mine a framed print of an old lithograph of bringing to light.

He gave me a monitor when I was raised. Ive done the same for every Brother Ive been the instructor for.

14. Bill Lins

Your Lodge doesn't give the new MM's Monitors when they're raised?

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Premium Member

No, in fact none of the lodges Ive been a member of have.

16. mark!

mark! Guest

I'm trying to remember if we got law books as well when we were raised, but we got Monitors. During our MM ceremony, we received the monitor, apron, presentation Bible, and I believe the law book.

17. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

This is interesting. My lodge gives the newly initiated Brother a copy of the "Monitor" the same evening as his EA degree. I assumed that this was the normal protocol for all Texas lodges. I am not sure why some lodges choose to wait until the MM degree to share this book with them or to not share it at all.

As structured as the GLoTX is in most protocol I am surprised at this variance in occurrence.

18. David Duke

We don't give a monitor or law book either, I am planning on trying to get the lodge to up our degree fees (they are currently $50.00 per degree) to cover the cost of presenting each new MM a monitor,law book and bible upon being raised.

19. Bill Lins

We wait to give the Monitor because there's things in it that might tend to confuse an EA or FC, and we want them to concentrate on learning their work. Most all Lodges around here give the Monitor & apron at the end of the MM degree. We also present a Bible. Normally we give a law book to incoming JW's.

20. David Duke

Exactly the reason we don't give a monitor to an EA or FC; I have typed up the working tools of both degrees and give them to my students to learn on there own, normally by the time I have them to the end of the first section they STILL don't have them down and we work it through together after that.

Share My Freemasonry