My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investigation Committee

jfree7997

Once you turn in your petition I know an investigation of some sort is done. But what all is involved in the investigation? What exactly is investigated?

My Freemasonry HD

ErvAlmighty

You yourself are investigated. Your personal life and your intentions with the fraternity.

My Freemasonry HD

JJones

The depth of the investigation depends on a lot of factors such as your jurisdiction, the lodge your petitioning, as well as the investigating brothers themselves. My lodge, for example, conducts background checks and usually has the petitioner come eat with us before our stated meetings for a few months so we can all get to know him.

jfree7997

Ok. I don't have anything to hide I have just seen a lot of talk about an investigation committee and was just wondering what they look for.

jmiluso

We do the same thing at my lodge J. Think about it like having a check done on you for a job. Making sure your intentions are true, and you are worthy of the fraternity.

My Freemasonry

jfree7997

I turned in my petition 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything about an investigation committee yet. Should I be worried?

Sent from my VS950 4G using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

ErvAlmighty

No you should not be worried. Meetings are done on an average of every 2 weeks in most lodges (like the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of a month) but in some lodges only once a month. They may have not picked your committee yet or had a meeting yet.

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

Zack

I turned in my petition 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything about an investigation committee yet. Should I be worried?

Not in my opinion. In my jurisdiction everything slows down at this time of year what with lodge elections, installations, the holidays, etc.
It wouldn't be unusual around here for you not to hear anything until January.

crono782

Premium Member
as you can see, things are done differently in different jurisdictions. another thing to remember that may be your case: here, the lodge must vote to "accept" your petition before an IC is assigned. this is done at a stated meeting. my lodge only has stated business meetings monthly. so in theory, depending on when you turn it in, it could be nearly a month before they formally accept it. then an IC is assigned. then they have until the next stated to meet with you and report their findings. at that next stated, your petition for the degrees would be voted on. so... again, in theory, it could be a month before an IC is assigned and another before you'd be voted on. it all depends on your lodge and the timing.

Bro Darren

Premium Member
My investigation consisted of a Q&A session with 2 Brothers and it was not threatening in anyway. They asked me about my background, family background, Do I believe in a supreme being, why I wanted to join and what I wanted to get out of it.
My name was also brought up in Lodge meetings 3 times at my Lodge and once or twice at the other lodges in my area.

That was pretty much the end of it.

jfree7997

Ok thank you. I know they are meeting tonight for elections so maybe it will come up tonight. Just super excited.

jmiluso

Ok thank you. I know they are meeting tonight for elections so maybe it will come up tonight. Just super excited.

Just remember, being a freemason is about patience.

Browncoat

I petitioned during Lodge dark months (August/Sept) so it was nearly 2 months before my petition was even looked at. The IC finally met with me and there was a Q&A, but its not like it was the Spanish Inquisition. Mostly a get to know you thing and the typical questions already mentioned above. Our SW is a sheriff, and is on the IC, so the background check was more thorough than most...but just about anyone can order that stuff online these days.

Be patient. I never heard of any Lodge being in a hurry. ;)

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

juni83

Does being arrested in the past for possession of marijuana disqualify someone from trying to join?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

JJones

Does being arrested in the past for possession of marijuana disqualify someone from trying to join?

Generally speaking, if it's considered a felony (which I have no clue about possession) then it can be much harder to join (in some jurisdictions it's an outright 'no'). Lesser charges can also weigh against you but it's still much better to be forthright and honest. I hope that helps.

juni83

Thank you for answering. The possession is a misdemeanor charge. And I was never convicted.