My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It was one of those nights...

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Don't you just hate those meetings that don't go well, especially as a Master of the Lodge? Tonight was the perfect storm:

• Official DDGM Visit
  • E.A. dropped in at the last minute (Who hasn't been in Lodge in over a year)
  • Grand Lodge Officer sitting just a few feet away
  • Had to put the MM Lodge into refreshment and call down to an EA
  • Report investigative committee results
  • Vote on a candidate
  • District instructor was there to grade us
  • One of the lesser lights burned out (Resorted to candles)
  • An etched glass montage that a Brother made for the Lodge fell off the wall and shattered

Granted, those aren't anything major, but all in the same night was challenging. Also, there were a few times where I completely lost my place and bumbled through spots. UGH...I'll be doubling up on practice..lol

Preston DuBose

Whoa, that stinks. It sure makes for a stressful night, doesn't it?

Out of curiosity, why did you call down to an EA? When the DDGM makes his official visit to our lodge (as will happen next week) we let EAs and FCs know that they are welcome and encouraged to join us for the meal but they won't be able to sit in Lodge that night as we'll be conducting all our business in a MM lodge.

sands67

Premium Member
Sounds like a busy night. Great thinking with the candles btw. Would never have thought of that. The bumbling happens too all of us. We learn from it and do our best to make sure it doesn't happen a second time. At least not in the same spot :D.

In our lodge we have always done our business in an EA lodge. The only time we see an FC or a MM LODGE is during our degree work. I cannot tell you why other than to say that is always how we have done it.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
why did you call down to an EA? When the DDGM makes his official visit to our lodge (as will happen next week) we let EAs and FCs know that they are welcome and encouraged to join us for the meal but they won't be able to sit in Lodge that night as we'll be conducting all our business in a MM lodge.

Some Grand Masters want EAs & FCs to hear the message. The Law requires that Grand Lodge officers be received in an MM Lodge. Once they have been received, it is permissible to call off to either an EA or a FC Lodge & allow them in.

Blake- what's this about the DI being there to grade y'all? We're not (officially) doing that this year.

Mac

Premium Member
Don't you just hate those meetings that don't go well, especially as a Master of the Lodge? Tonight was the perfect storm:

• Official DDGM Visit
  • E.A. dropped in at the last minute (Who hasn't been in Lodge in over a year)
  • Had to put the MM Lodge into refreshment and call down to an EA

We had almost the exact same thing happen last month!

One of the lesser lights burned out (Resorted to candles)
Sad to hear you consider it "resorting" to candles. ;)

I just made some candle stands for my Lodge and we've been using them during our stated meetings and degree nights. It's a nice change to go back to the old ways some times, even in this small way.