Just saw this on drudge

Discussion in 'The Refreshment Lounge' started by JTM, Aug 28, 2009.

1. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

WHAT?? That's absurd. The government should have no such control.

2. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Now that is scary!

3. js4253

js4253 Premium Member Premium Member

YES THEY CAN. Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Premium Member

I can almost see where its coming from... a huge cyberattack on the net could take down all internet connections, including secure connections that travel over the same backbone. Denial of service attacks could cause major issues. But... I dont want the gubment, especial this control grabbing gubment having that power!

5. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

Change you can count on baby! Well change as long as it isn't in your pocket just in your freedoms. (This applies to both parties ie patriot act.)

6. drapetomaniac

drapetomaniac Premium Member Premium Member

This is an extension from the debate in the prior two years.

There seemed to be wild support in the US for *not* letting the internet be governed by an international body or organization. So, it remained under US control. The U.S. Department of Commerce has oversight and *allows* the private organization ICANN to run it.

If people really want the commander in chief not to have control over the internet, they would support turning it over to an international body. Really, this bill is just a formality.

The president got access to AT&T customers just by asking.

7. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

8. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

Just because he got access doesn't mean I like that either - Guessing this was under the patriot Act(ARRG). Wasn't it Bush though that got access to the phone companies? The UN and all the appendant International bodies need to stay out of any of our business with all the corruption that is in their ranks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

Share My Freemasonry