My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lamar Medal

cacarter

Premium Member
Has anyone's lodge here presented the Lamar Medal to either a student or teacher? For those of you unfamiliar with "the Lamar Medal is awarded to students and educators in recognition of outstanding personal achievement in academics, citizenship, community service, or sports."

What are the steps to get that process started? I know the Public Education Committee at the Grand Lodge is responsible "to develop, promote and assist the Lodges with suitable Grand Lodge programs and material for uniform presentation of the Lamar Medal; to establish suitable guidelines for the qualifications of proposed recipients of the medal, and for presentation of same in such matter as to properly recognize outstanding achievement while honoring the commitment of this Grand Lodge to the principle of Public Education." (Grand lodge of Texas website description)

How'd your lodge do the presentation? And who did you contact at Grand Lodge to get a hold of the Public Education Committee?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Your Secretary can order the Award from the Grand Secretary's office. A suggested presentation with the purpose & history of the award comes with the award itself.

anraney

Thanks for the reminder buddy...next year is going to be so busy.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

cacarter

Premium Member
Thanks Bill. I talked to my secretary and R:.W:. Wendell Miller last night at floor practice. He gave me some more information.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Victory Lodge presents the Lamar Award to the recipients of its annual Lamar Scholarship gifts. When I saw the presentation I didn't know the two could be awarded separately.

So giving a Lamar Award to a teacher would be very similar to giving a Community Build award to a public servant with plenty of room for overlap.

rwroyall

Yes sir but for different reasons. The Lamar medal should be awarded strictly for public education achievements. We at Huffman have awarded the Lamar Medal to an educator one year and to students in other years. B Royall WM

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App