My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lamp Light Lodge

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I went to a moon lodge last night. It was the first moon lodge that I have been to after my raising. It was a night that will be hard to forget. They were very friendly and welcoming, even though I didn't go with anyone I knew. My stepdad was a past master back in 82 there so it left me with a good conversation piece. Great foods, I even received a souvenir pen and coffee mug. Once it was time for lodge we all scurried up the stairs and it was only lit by lamps at each station. The lesser lights were candles. It felt as if we were back in the 18 or 1900's. it was an honor to be in the company of so many past masters. There were more at this lodge present than I have ever seen to date. It is amazing how much harder it was to be a mason back then, you know without the electricity. It took a while to get through the reading of the minutes and so on, but it is nice to show new masons how our ancestors did it and recognize the trials and tribulations they had to endure without electricity, modern transportation, etc. It was amazing. If you have a chance to ever make it to chalk mountain lodge #894 on one of these nights, they do it twice a year I think, then you need to.

Last edited:

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Sounds like an awesome experience. There are a few really old lodges around my area that I have had the thought about being in lodge using only candles like back in the day. Hopefully, one day I'll get to see something like that.

Question, though. I have been in Texas Masonry since 2006 and I have heard of "moon" lodges before, but have gotten a few different descriptions of them.

What, for the most part is a "moon lodge" (when it comes to Texas Masonry)?

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Michaelstedman81 said:
Sounds like an awesome experience. There are a few really old lodges around my area that I have had the thought about being in lodge using only candles like back in the day. Hopefully, one day I'll get to see something like that.

Question, though. I have been in Texas Masonry since 2006 and I have heard of "moon" lodges before, but have gotten a few different descriptions of them.

What, for the most part is a "moon lodge" (when it comes to Texas Masonry)?

Chalk Mountain lodge Lodge holds its Stated Communications (i.e. Regular Meetings) on the Saturday closest to the Full Moon, thus we are known as a "Moon Lodge." At the time of the lodge founding, this was for a two-fold purpose: One was for the benefit of those who did not have calendars and could tell when Lodge was to meet by watching the waxing of the moon. The second was that on most lodge nights they would be aided in their travel to and from lodge by the light of a bright moon. Even with the addition of paved roads, street lights, automobiles, day planners and GPS, this is a custom the lodge has continued to this day.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Sounds like a wonderful experience.

I have been considering proposing a change to my Lodge's by-laws as to our meeting day, and basing it on the full moon. We'll see how that flies...

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
The problem that I would see lies in it not being on a set day. With the world being such a busy place, having a set day it could help for some and hurt others. Another thing to think about is that sometime you might meet twice a month and none the next. Just thing to think about. It has its pro and cons.

Freemason Connect Premium App

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My idea was to set it to "the Wednesday on or before the full moon," as we presently meet on the second Wednesday.