My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving my mother lodge as an Entered Apprentice

Cryptococo

Hello guys, I'm a mason in Italy. In most Lodges in this country, it can takes years to go from the Entered Apprentice degree to the Fellowcraft degree and to the MM degree. Unfortunately for family reasons, I will have to move to a different continent for ever. I'm still an EA so I wont be able to become a MM in my mother lodge and I will have to petition in a new lodge where I will reside.

Has anyone had this experience or any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Roy_

If I'm right Italy has two different Grand Lodges that are recognised or not by most other Grand Lodges. You may want to think if you want to join another Grand Lodge that recognises your current Grand Lodge. Otherwise you'll just be initiated again of course.

So, some more info may be helpful. What Grand Lodge do you work under now and to what country are you moving?

Of course, just talk about this in your current lodge too. They'll have some advise undoubtedly.

Cryptococo

If I'm right Italy has two different Grand Lodges that are recognised or not by most other Grand Lodges. You may want to think if you want to join another Grand Lodge that recognises your current Grand Lodge. Otherwise you'll just be initiated again of course.

So, some more info may be helpful. What Grand Lodge do you work under now and to what country are you moving?

Of course, just talk about this in your current lodge too. They'll have some advise undoubtedly.

My Grand Lodge is the Regular Grand Lodge of Italy recognized by the UGLE. I will be moving to Ecuador which has also a Grand Lodge recognized by the UGLE.

dfreybur

Premium Member
My Grand Lodge is the Regular Grand Lodge of Italy recognized by the UGLE. I will be moving to Ecuador which has also a Grand Lodge recognized by the UGLE.

You can ask to complete your degrees "by courtesy". Your new lodge would report each degree to your mother lodge. The amount of paperwork is large. The amount of delay might be as low as a couple of months but might be as high as several years.

Or you can explain your situation and ask to start over again in your new country. There will be a minimum residency requirement first but then no further delays. Plus less paperwork.

Cryptococo

You can ask to complete your degrees "by courtesy". Your new lodge would report each degree to your mother lodge. The amount of paperwork is large. The amount of delay might be as low as a couple of months but might be as high as several years.

Or you can explain your situation and ask to start over again in your new country. There will be a minimum residency requirement first but then no further delays. Plus less paperwork.

Thanks for the feedback. Taking the journey over again will be a better option for me.

Roy_

So you've worked under Fabio Venzi? That's probably the most interesting contemporary Freemason (to me). According to Wikipedia, many GLs recognise the Grand Orient of Italy rather than the Regular Grand Lodge. That could be something to look at when you take Doug's advice. If you're going to 'start over' anyway, this is of course of no need.

Elexir

So you've worked under Fabio Venzi? That's probably the most interesting contemporary Freemason (to me). According to Wikipedia, many GLs recognise the Grand Orient of Italy rather than the Regular Grand Lodge. That could be something to look at when you take Doug's advice. If you're going to 'start over' anyway, this is of course of no need.

Using wikipedia to judge recognition is the worst thing you can do ;) If memory serves me most european GLs recognises the regular GL of Italy while its mostly US GLs that recognises GOoI and with one GL a state + PHA that might be superior in number but it dont say anything in reality.

Cryptococo

You are right but like Elexir said, most US GLs recognize the GOoI, but in Europe most recognize the GL of Italy. In South America it might be the same as in the US, not really sure.

Bloke

Premium Member
It would be simple here
If Recognized - you would transfer and we would complete your degrees
If Irregular - we would just initiate you - once you have resigned from your Irregular lodge.

First step - find a regular GL in your destination country - but before doing so, get the Sec of your current lodge to write you a letter of introduction.

Bloke

Premium Member
Why would it take "years" to travel from EA to MM?
Different places have different rules.

Under GL Chile - a MM I know saw each degree taking 2 years, so it is 6 years to become a EA to MM. I have known other South Americans where it is a year between each degree.
Under my GL - you cannot do your third degree until 12 months after your first, meeting 11 times a year (monthly) the average at our lodge is about 1.8 (average, median is 1.3) years to become a MM, but we have two FCs over 2 years because their attendance has not been strong.. In my other lodge -2 years is not uncommon.
Here, your 8 month journey from EA to MM would not be Constitutional. The *only* way you would side step that is Dispensation from the GM - normally given to the terminally ill or those about to go on Deployment....

Different places have different rules.....

Cryptococo

Why would it take "years" to travel from EA to MM?

Bloke put it very well in the comment above. In my lodge it takes years, for example, a fellow brother from my lodge was passed to the fellowcraft degree after 6 years. It can vary and it also depends on the participation of the member but it's no less than a year or two for each degree.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
It can vary and it also depends on the participation of the member but it's no less than a year or two for each degree.

Not doubting you or anyone else on this, Just can't wrap my head around the time frame.
What encompasses being passed or raised? If you can give a summery on a public forum....

Thanks

Roy_

It's of course very off-topic, but in many organisations you don't go to your next degree after memorizing a catechism, but after having experienced and studied a degree and giving a lecture ('piece of architecture') about it. In (most) European countries and in most organisations there's usually about a year between degrees, but it could just as well be longer if you're not deemed ready.