Light for new M.M

Discussion in 'History and Research' started by Derek Harvey, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Derek Harvey

Derek Harvey Registered User

I'm a new master mason. What should I be focusing on the most right now?

2. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Don't feel "lonely".
    I've heard(read) from couple of Russian Freemasons that -- MM can have that feeling. If I've understand correctly.

3. Jason A. Mitchell

Jason A. Mitchell Premium Member

1. Enjoying the Craft
    2. MM Catechisms
    3. Lodge Protocol
    4. Learning Ritual Parts

Learning ritual will take you farther afield in all Masonic disciplines than anything else. Ritual is the marrow in the bone, and everything else builds off of it.

Edit: By ritual I mean lectures, monitorial lessons, obligations, etc... the entirety of it. Develop a commanding master of your Ritual.

Bro. Landry likes this.
  4. Derek Harvey

Derek Harvey Registered User

Thanks for the information brothers.

5. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Do you have a mentor in Lodge ? It really depends on how your lodge is structured and about progression, but now put aside advice not to read further if you received such advice which is commonly given.

Here, my advice would be go and see degree work, make sure you hold onto what you learned in your questions and answers by revising them, learn a small charge suggested to you by the person who runs the degrees (marshal, director) so you get to deliver it.

Part depends on what your goal is (history, charity, learning, etc) but in all instances trying to develop an understanding of Freemasonry and the contents and lessons in its degrees should form one of your major goals.

(and note Ressam is a guest here who is not a Brother).

Derek Harvey, Bro. Landry and Ressam like this.
  6. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Derek Harvey and Bro. Landry like this.
  7. Bro. Landry

Bro. Landry Registered User

In the same boat wondering the same thing. Thanks for the question and answers brothers

8. ChristopherNance

ChristopherNance Registered User

Be wary of rushing to join apandent bodies, unless you have a particular goal in mind. There is a ton to learn in the blue lodge after you become a master mason. One of the first things I learned was the second degree charge. It is the easiest of the three charges and will impress your brothers if you take the initiative to learn it

Sent from my SM-S975L using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

caution22113 and Derek Harvey like this.
  9. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Don't answer questions you dont have the answer too. You are not a Mason so please dont assume to know what a new brother should study.

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

MasterBulldawg and Bro. Landry like this.
  10. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

If you are brand new my advise is to simply sit back, relax, and observe awhile.

Derek Harvey likes this.

Share My Freemasonry