My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Litigation Discussion

Tylerl90

Open to all opinions, my Brothers. Just a discussion topic I’ve been thinking about. Is an individual Lodge or Grand Lodge initiating legal action against another person/business/organization anti-Masonic at all? Why or why not? What about litigation against clandestine “Masonic” organizations? I’d love some examples

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I think you mean un-masonic. There is no one standard for that. Yes, there are some jurisdictions where it is considered inappropriate “to go to law” against another mason.

I’m unaware of any jurisdiction in which a mason or masonic body may not engage in litigation.

There are PHA cases with clandestine masons.

Tylerl90

I think you mean un-masonic. There is no one standard for that. Yes, there are some jurisdictions where it is considered inappropriate “to go to law” against another mason.

I’m unaware of any jurisdiction in which a mason or masonic body may not engage in litigation.

There are PHA cases with clandestine masons.

Yes, un-Masonic. My mistake. Do you know what the outcome was of those PHA cases?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

rpbrown

Premium Member
I would say it depends on the reason for litigation.
Lets say someone drives a vehicle into your lodge building and then refuses to pay damages. Then yes, you should be able ti file against them.
If its just filing against a clandestine lodge for receiving donations as a masonic lodge, then I would thing it should be up to GL

Number4

"Lets say someone drives a vehicle into your lodge building and then refuses to pay damages."

Surely that would be a matter for the insurance companies? But in other case, a Lodge is certainly entitled to sue for damages.....for example my Lodge rents a portion of the building to a martial arts club: a while back they broke a large plate glass window, had they not replaced it themselves, the Lodge could have taken legal action for the cost of replacing said window.
In a dispute between Brothers, then the proper recourse would be to file Masonic charges first; if the other party is a non Mason, then it is a private matter IMHO.

Bloke

Premium Member
"Lets say someone drives a vehicle into your lodge building and then refuses to pay damages."

Surely that would be a matter for the insurance companies? But in other case, a Lodge is certainly entitled to sue for damages.....for example my Lodge rents a portion of the building to a martial arts club: a while back they broke a large plate glass window, had they not replaced it themselves, the Lodge could have taken legal action for the cost of replacing said window.
In a dispute between Brothers, then the proper recourse would be to file Masonic charges first; if the other party is a non Mason, then it is a private matter IMHO.
@Glen Cook is that correct, is the lodge a legal entity ? Can it sue ? A Grand Lodge (or something associated) usually is, a Hall Company (or something similar is), but can a Lodge which has no legal registration sue or would it need to be the individuals comprising the lodge ?

However, as a general approach, the courts and law should only be used Freemasonry and Freemasons on matters Masonic as an absolute last resort.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
The structure is owned by someone: a lodge, a temple association... Whatever entity that holds title to the building would have standing.