My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge or Temple?

1280px-Masonic_Lodge_Great_Falls,_Montana,_Corner_Stone.jpg

A "Lodge" is the name associated with the group of Brethren meeting as Freemasons. In other words it describes an organizational unit of Freemasons - just as a Regiment may describe an organizational unit of the Army.

A "Temple" is the name of the place in which the Lodge meets. All Lodges meet in Temples since the very essence of the Masonic legends is the construction of the first Temple at Jerusalem. This does not mean that the Temple is a place of religious worship by Freemasons - since of course religious topics (including worship specific to an individual religion such as Judaism) are forbidden in Lodge.

The "Temple" in this Masonic meaning, is taken to be a place that is an emblematical representation of that hallowed place of worship (i.e. the first Temple at Jerusalem), consecrated to God's glory, without actually being that in reality. Being emblematical, each Brother is then able to use this to relate it symbolically to a place of worship in his own religion - just as the GAOTU is so related to his own Supreme Being.

Bearing in mind the significance of the Temple in Masonic legend and ritual, it is most appropriate that the Lodges should always meet there - just as all MMs are considered to be Bros. to HAB.

Bloke

Premium Member
View attachment 5303

A "Lodge" is the name associated with the group of Brethren meeting as Freemasons. In other words it describes an organizational unit of Freemasons - just as a Regiment may describe an organizational unit of the Army.

A "Temple" is the name of the place in which the Lodge meets. All Lodges meet in Temples since the very essence of the Masonic legends is the construction of the first Temple at Jerusalem. This does not mean that the Temple is a place of religious worship by Freemasons - since of course religious topics (including worship specific to an individual religion such as Judaism) are forbidden in Lodge.

The "Temple" in this Masonic meaning, is taken to be a place that is an emblematical representation of that hallowed place of worship (i.e. the first Temple at Jerusalem), consecrated to God's glory, without actually being that in reality. Being emblematical, each Brother is then able to use this to relate it symbolically to a place of worship in his own religion - just as the GAOTU is so related to his own Supreme Being.

Bearing in mind the significance of the Temple in Masonic legend and ritual, it is most appropriate that the Lodges should always meet there - just as all MMs are considered to be Bros. to HAB.

Lodge is a collective noun for a group of Freemasons.
Temple is a noun which refers to a place. (or abstract noun when in allegory).

We now tend to say "masonic centre" to remove the percieved association with the word "temple" that Masons do some sort of worshipping there

Mind you, I always say I'm going to lodge..

Mindovermatter Ace

Without having read all of the comments: On account of the Anti-Masonic Party and the increasing number of conspiracy theorist, many jurisdictions have refrained from using the term "Temple" to describe the building where masons meet. They have extended the usage of the word "lodge" to not only mean the assembly of masons but also the building as well.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Without having read all of the comments: On account of the Anti-Masonic Party and the increasing number of conspiracy theorist, many jurisdictions have refrained from using the term "Temple" to describe the building where masons meet. They have extended the usage of the word "lodge" to not only mean the assembly of masons but also the building as well.

I am of two minds about this.

On the one hand I don't want the general public grumbling; I want them petitioning.

On the other hand, thank God for the antis. They are so very nuts they help us. It's nice to have a few simple "canary tests" that trigger them and keep them dancing in circles chewing on their tails.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
On the other hand, thank God for the antis. They are so very nuts they help us. It's nice to have a few simple "canary tests" that trigger them and keep them dancing in circles chewing on their tails.
I know exactly what you mean. I search these things out on the internet for their entertainment value.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Me: I’ve got masons tonight
Wife: Wake me up when you get back and you will be sorry, enjoy your spaghetti.

In my case it's more like "At 9:30, I'm hitting play on NCIS on the DVR and starting to drink the wine. How much you get to see/drink depends on you"

Bloke

Premium Member
In my case it's more like "At 9:30, I'm hitting play on NCIS on the DVR and starting to drink the wine. How much you get to see/drink depends on you"
Wow... I've never been home from lodge by that time... even when we have a 15 min meeting, I would not expect to get home before 10:30 by the time we eat drink and talk.. hell, I've got home at 1 am from rehearsal when 3 of us started saying goodbye at 10 am and then spent hours talking in the carpark.... what time does your lodge start ?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Wow... I've never been home from lodge by that time... even when we have a 15 min meeting, I would not expect to get home before 10:30 by the time we eat drink and talk.. hell, I've got home at 1 am from rehearsal when 3 of us started saying goodbye at 10 am and then spent hours talking in the carpark.... what time does your lodge start ?
We start at 7:30.
I very much enjoy my time at lodge, but I have to be up early in the mornings and I'm afraid that if it habitually went much later than it does, I wouldn't be going very often.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We start at 7:30.
Here our lodge meetings start at 7:00 or 7:30 after we eat and I am usually home bu 9:00 or 9:30.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Dinner begins at 600pm with Lodge meetings starting at 730pm. When it ends can be anywhere between 900p - 1030p (From what I've witnessed)
Here the meal is one hour prior to the meeting. For example, if the meeting is at 7:00 then the meal would start at 6:00.