My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Practice

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Six months ago my Lodge had no practice nights, no ritual work, no degree work, nada. Thanks to WM Joey Moss and other members of our Lodge we're slowly turning this old gal around. After having a rough day it was nice to take a breather with a handful of Brothers and practice. The crazier this world becomes the more I appreciate the sanctity of my Lodge. It's a refuge of true friends in whom I can confide.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
sweet. practices make everything run wonderfully, and are usually much more relaxed than any other type of meeting (besides the post meeting, i guess).

just make sure to assign a lodge instructor or something along those lines so nobody's yelling over each other correcting everything.

Wingnut

Premium Member
We got the WM to approve us doing practice nights but they were on the same night as the Shrine Stated. Not that it really matter because we only had the same handful show up every time and they were mostly shrine members. It was fun though and I learned a lot. The lodge Im transfering my membership to has an education night every tuesday night. Depending on the crowd they break off into groups and do EA/FC or MM training or floor school. With over 15 ACTIVE EAs being trained and about 10 FC there is plenty to do!

Nate Riley

Premium Member
Practice nice is probably my favorite night at the lodge!

sweet. practices make everything run wonderfully, and are usually much more relaxed than any other type of meeting (besides the post meeting, i guess).

just make sure to assign a lodge instructor or something along those lines so nobody's yelling over each other correcting everything.

We have a designated coach and anyone from the peanut gallery usually directs all comments to him. Generally, he will appoint someone to coach a specific chair if someone is new or rusty. Everynow and then, someone will show up and decide they want to correct folks, and he is quick to shut it down (he is old school so, he can usually do that without causing an hurt feelings).

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i can't wait till i'm 80 and can do whatever the ____ i wish.

M

master-m73

We start in our lodge education nights very useful is an opportunity to learn stuffs and the rookies enjoy it and sometimes they are lost in the space hahaha,

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirius

i can't wait till i'm 80 and can do whatever the ____ i wish.

You dont have to be 80, just a PM.
past%20master%20colour%20transparent%204.gif

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We have a designated coach and anyone from the peanut gallery usually directs all comments to him. Generally, he will appoint someone to coach a specific chair if someone is new or rusty. Everynow and then, someone will show up and decide they want to correct folks, and he is quick to shut it down (he is old school so, he can usually do that without causing an hurt feelings).

That's the way to do it. Otherwise you have 4 Brothers shouting corrections, at least 3 of which are WRONG, and the Brother being corrected gets confused & mad.

M

master-m73

We get the newly exalted M:.M:. And explain to him what just happen

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
Well, this past Thursday we practiced our first FC degree. I'm hoping that we can get away from the district degree team and start putting our own degrees on again. ;)

HKTidwell

Premium Member
The FC is a beautiful degree, in my opinion this is the degree that is for the candidate. While the MM is the degree for all of us who have gone through it before. The ea is great but the candidate is on needles the entire time trying to absorb it.

Last edited:

Skogie

Degree Practice and the accompanying fellowship are central to the survival of a lodge.

Out of 91 members on the rolls, we have a "core" or active group of 25. The balance on the roster being those who live out of the area, state or are on Life-Support equipment.

We practice Degree Work every Tues. Evening. A different degree every week. We move the Officers around to the different Places and Stations. (Including WM) This gives them the experience of each chair and an appreciation for the particular difficulty that each Officer faces.

Since Arizona uses a Plain English Ritual Text, they can read their lines if they haven't memorized them yet. This eliminates a lot of "unauthorized prompting" from others. We always have one person designated as degree coach for each practice.

We beleive in the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Last year we raised 6 good men to Master Mason. This year so far, just one and that was in January. Last Tuesday we inititated our first EA of the year.

Due to 7 months of practice without a "real" candidate everyone was sharp, eager and we put on an excellent degree.

Of the 6 we raised to MM last year, one is now our Senior Deacon, one is Senior Steward, one is Junior Steward and another is Chaplain. We offered them the opportunity to replace the Past Masters that were in those chairs. i.e. we put them to work. The Junior Deacon is not a PM, but a retired Computer Programmer from IBM who transferred from a Minnesota Lodge and affiliated the year before after attending a couple of practices and meetings. He observed the comeraderie with the easy going attitude and fellowship that prevailed and liked it.

We are now practicing for the new candidate's 2nd AND 3rd Degrees. All work being done by the appointed or elected Officers of the Lodge.

I have just received another application for the Degrees of Masonry.

We also have an Entered Apprientice who will be returning to Payson in November at which time he will be receiving his 2nd Degree. Which means we will be busy until the end of the year.

For a Lodge in a small mountain town of 15,000 to have every chair in the Lodge filled with enthusiastic officers, it has become unusual and not the norm.

We also have other programs going constantly for those who do not wish to enter the progressive line to Master. Bikes For Books, Essay Contest, Clothe A Child, and the Child Identification Program (CHIP). Plus the normal fund raisers such as the annual BBQ, Craft Fair and Rummage Sales. This is where the other two that were raised to MM are involved.

We have attracted a "Band of Brothers amongst whom no contention should ever exist but that Noble contention or emulation of who can best work and best agree." A really good "team."

All this in just the last few years in a lodge that was declared "dead" at one time when stated meetings were cancelled for a lack of enough Officers to legally open and close.

In my opinion therefore, the "synergy" created in degree practice even without any candidates waiting in the wings, is without a doubt the single most important function in a lodge.

Richard Skoglund, PM
Secretary
Payson Lodge No. 70
Payson, Arizona

Last edited: