Looking For Assistance with a VA representative

Discussion in 'The Marketplace' started by Terrance Moorer, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Terrance Moorer

Terrance Moorer Registered User

Hello I am just in search of Veteran Assistance to file some va claims. I am from the SC area and I am willing to travel to the close areas nearby. I have been out the military for awhile but looking for some guidance and aid on this issue.

EA
    Sumter, SC

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I recommend using one of the veterans groups: DAV or American Legion.

Terrance Moorer likes this.
  3. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

If you haven't already done so you should register with your local Veterans Service Officer. He can help you with your claim or direct you to one of the Veterans groups.

If you are filing a compensation & pension (C & P) claim the VA will set you up for an exam at the closest VA Medical Center. I can tell you from experience that chances are unless you have a statement and medical reports from an outside Doctor or a VA Doctor for your medical condition the VA will deny your claim. If they do be sure to appeal and keep appealing until you get approved. It can be a long frustrating process.

If you are going for service connected, get your military service and medical records to document it because even though the VA has access to those records they will attempt not to recognize the service connection, so you need to be prepared to document it from your records yourself. Also, if a problem has developed or worsened since originally documented in you service/medical record (i.e. a service connected unstable knee can cause problems with the other knee and back because of the altered gait) you will need a Dr. to write a letter or report stating that it is “at least as likely as not” that your medical condition is related to your military service. They have to be very specific in what they say because even though the burden of proof for the veteran is a "preponderance of evidence" and that "close calls" evidence in "equipoise" (50/50) are to be decided in the veterans favor the VA claims officer will usually still deny the claim, so it is better if you can get the Dr. to state that "it is more likely than not".

It can be a long drawn out process. It took me seven years, many C & P exams, and appeals before I was approved. My claim was back dated to the original date and the final examiner said that the original denial was "completely in error".

Here is a link for a list of the South Carolina VSOs: http://va.sc.gov/contact.html

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. Terrance Moorer

Ty
    very much for your help and comments! Was very helpful

5. Terrance Moorer

Thank you very much for your aid in help!

6. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

Yes, what LAMason said. Every county has at least one Vet Service Officer. Or contact the local American Legion, most have an advocate. Do note the
    "long drawn out" part. It can take years.

7. Terrance Moorer

Thank you very much for your help
    In pointing me in the wrong direction

8. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Well that was rude

9. Terrance Moorer

I deeply apologize I meant the right direction. I was busy at work

Share My Freemasonry