My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mason at sight ?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Dosen't it mean that, under certain conditions, a Grand Master can make someone a Master Mason on the spot?

Levelhead

Premium Member
Funny we had a guy that was initiated and from what i was told he left because he thought he was gonna just be made a MM because he was like a big shot in the state and felt he i guess shouldn't have to do the work.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
What does it mean ? And where is it used ?
It is the GM's purgative in some jurisdictions to make a Mason on Site. To be legitimate, the Brothers present must agree and vote upon the acceptance of the man and the ceremonies must be performed in total, which means a lodge must be open in each Degree. It is only the GM that can sanction the opening of an unscheduled Lodge. The word "make" means "initiated; entered; accepted" as in to join and become a member of the organization.

Tx4ever

New
"In jurisdictions that allow such, it does. GLoTX does not. "

I was told through a very reliable source ,That the then Governor of Texas Mark White 1983-1987 was made a MM in his office in 1 day. But I have no way of proving it true.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
As far as I know, my jurisdiction offers such privilege to the GM. I have never met anyone who has been made a Mason at sight. The only time I have ever heard of it being done was a guy who had petitioned a lodge and then was called up to military service in Iraq. It wasn't as though the GM just saw a guy and said, "You look like you should be a Mason." It was a man who had already sought admittance.

I'm sure there have been others, but this is the only instance I have ever heard.

Levelhead

Premium Member
I dont think anyone who was made a mason at sight would ever tell anyone. Id personally keep it to myself if it was me.

Tx4ever

"I dont think anyone who was made a mason at sight would ever tell anyone. Id personally keep it to myself if it was me."
Isn't this kind of like the states that hold a 1 or 2 day forum?

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I don't know. If you were deemed worthy of such an honor, I wouldn't hide it.

It's not as though GM's are just walking around laying hands on people and making them Master Masons. As I say, in 20+ years, I've heard of one instance in our state.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Ive heard that being made MM mason at sight is just as it is. No degrees or nothing. Your just pretty much given it. With all the benefits of a MM. I mean i don't see why someone would want that. To me its about the experience and hard work.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Ive heard that being made MM mason at sight is just as it is. No degrees or nothing. Your just pretty much given it. With all the benefits of a MM. I mean i don't see why someone would want that. To me its about the experience and hard work.
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but remember, not all GLs have the extensive requirements of proficiency often found in the US. My experience in UGLE is propounding about nine questions to the candidate with the deacon at his ear to prompt him.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
From all that have I read on this, it still requires the degrees to be performed, with obligations and the consent of the Brothers attending.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
New
"In jurisdictions that allow such, it does. GLoTX does not. "

I was told through a very reliable source that the then-Governor of Texas Mark White (1983-1987) was made a MM in his office in 1 day. But I have no way of proving it true.

Art. 35. (35). Mason at Sight Prohibited.
The Grand Master has no power or authority to make Masons at sight. This Grand Lodge will not recognize any mode of making Masons in this Jurisdiction other than in a regular Lodge and after previous investigation, regular election and due inquiry into the character of the candidate.

I do not know when this Article was first put in the Law or when it was last amended, if ever. It's also possible that the then-Grand Master violated the Law & got a pass on it.