Masonic Books

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by SWATFrog, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWATFrog

SWATFrog Premium Member

What good books have you read on Freemasonry. I am really on a book kick lately. Well, ebook kick. I'm looking for some good titles as I'm sure many are. Plus, there are so many authors out there with a shady motives. So a list of authors who are credible historians is gold.

I've read:
    Born in Blood,
    Solomon's Builders,
    Traveling East,
    The Better Angels of Our Nature-Freemasonry in the Civil War,
    Idiots guild to Freemasonry,
    The Meaning of Freemasonry,
    Freemasonry and it's Etiquette,
    Royal Arch and it's Hidden meaning

On order:
    A Pilgrim's Path,
    Tell me More About the Mark Degree,
    Traveling East and Beyond,
    Light on Masonry

2. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

"House Undevided"

Oh and of course my favorite reference:

Mackey's "Encyclopedia of Freemasonry"

3. jdmaynor

jdmaynor Registered User

The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton

The Meaning of Masonry by W.L. Wilmhurst

4. Ashton Lawson

Ashton Lawson Premium Member

If you wish to step away from just the history of the fraternity, and explore some of it's deeper esoteric meaning; I suggest the following for starters.

1. Freemasonry and it's Ancient Mystic Rites - C.W. Leadbeater
    2. The Meaning of Masonry - W.L. Wilmshurst
    3. Jewel Lightfoot's Commentaries - Jewel P. Lightfoot
    4. Morals & Dogma - Albert Pike

Anything written by Carl Claudy, Joseph Fort Newton, Manly P. Hall or any of the authors above is worth reading also.

5. VinnyC

VinnyC Registered User

There is also a smaller book, almost pocket sized and it came out this year called: Freemasonry, an Introduction. Good read.

6. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

SWATfrog,

If you're interested in understanding and executing the code that makes better men, rather than reading about the histories, structures, biographies, laws, etiquettes and rules of Freemason Organization(s), you might look into the "Building Series" of Masonic Education books:
    They are not e-books. They are jammed packed with insights, connections and interconnections that you will not get through typical Lodge education efforts or the usual fair of book offerings.

F&S,

Bro. Coach N

PS - Yes, I am the author.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  7. Brent Heilman

Brent Heilman Premium Member

Coach N, where would I might be able to find these? I am interested in checking them out.

8. coachn

Thanks for asking Brother Brent.

You can find/obtain them by follow the links on the following:
    • Building Series
    • Building Hiram -- MM Level - An overview of the interconnections between the first three Degrees, Symbolic meanings and applications.
    • Building Boaz - EA Level - Focuses upon the interconnections within the first Degree, Symbolic meanings, the Work of the EA, its sources/roots and its benefits.
    • Building Athens - FC Level - Focuses upon the interconnections within the second Degree, Symbolic meanings, the Work of the FC, its sources/roots and its benefits.
    • Building Janus - MM Level - Focuses upon the interconnections within the third Degree, how these interconnections relate to the first two Degrees, Symbolic meanings, the Work of the MM, its sources/roots and its benefits.
    F&S,

Bro. Coach N

9. brandon.prewitt

brandon.prewitt Premium Member

What books could I read about Masonry, not being a Mason yet?

Some of these may or may not be too advanced for me.

10. ShadyGrove821

ShadyGrove821 Registered User

I've read lots of books about Masonry written by Masons, and have usually been disappointed; many of the books seem to be a re-writing of the Degree Lectures, with no new insights.

One of the most useful books I've read is "Freemason's Guide and Compendium" by Bernard E. Jones:
    http://www.amazon.com/Freemasons-Guide-Compendium-New-Revised/dp/1581825609

I seem to learn more about Masonic thought by reading books by non-Masons; for example, Frances Yates:
    http://www.amazon.com/RC-Bundle-Ros...t-Routledge/dp/0415267692/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

and Margaret C. Jacob:
    http://www.amazon.com/Radical-Enlig...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301930195&sr=1-1

otherstar likes this.
  11. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

The Craft by Hamill, The Builders, Freemasons Guide and Compendium, The Freemason at Work, Harry Carr's World of Freemasonry, Lodge of the Double Headed Eagle, Coil's Masonic encyclopedia, Freemasons Book of the Royal Arch, Compasses and Cross, The Murdered Magicians,...I'll have more in a few minutes...

12. Brent Heilman

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will check them out soon.

13. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

William Preston and his Work, The Collected Prestonian Lectures, Revolutionary Brotherhood, Living the Enlightenment, The Little Masonic Library, The Grand Design, Secret Tradition in Freemasonry, Material Culture of the American Freemasons, Theater of the Fraternity, The Art and Architecture of Freemasonry

14. coachn

You're most welcome Brother. Be forewarned and brace yourself though... they are not you're typical Masonic Education books.

15. Brent Heilman

That's fine by me. I am always in search of something different. It helps to keep the excitement there and fun.

16. Tony Siciliano

Tony Siciliano Premium Member

Here are my 2 picks:
    • A Bridge to Light, Rex Hutchens.
      This is for the SR brethren out there. This was included in my Valley's Reunion packet, I'm not sure if other Orients give it out too. This book is like the SR Ritual and Monitor "Lite".
    • These Were Brethren, Carl Claudy
      Hard to find, but a fantastic little book. It contains 24 short stories that exemplify many of our teachings.

17. SWATFrog

SWATFrog Premium Member

Thank you Brother. I will do that.

18. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Registered User

19. flttrainer

flttrainer Premium Member

I am very interested in your books. Any chance of an e-book version in the future? Love having my library on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Freemasonry

20. vinceatwork

vinceatwork Registered User

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share My Freemasonry