My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Coin

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Can I ask why we need a masonic coin?
We already have ONE dollar note lol (just kidding)

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

MasterBulldawg

You are right there are coins out there but none that just have the s & c and is plain on the on the back to where you can have it engraved with a message that you may want to give to a Brother you raised or a who you brought in to the Craft.

MasterBulldawg

A challenge coin is used basically the same way as a ring to show you are Mason. A coin usually have the S & C on 1 side and your name, lodge and dates on the other.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Please forgive my ignorance. What exactly is a "Challenge coin", also, how and when is it used?

It's a military tradition used by certain units. One variation is based on coins presented by General Officers; he who carries the lowest ranking coin buys the drinks.
Generally, if you don't have your unit coin, you buy.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
Please forgive my ignorance. What exactly is a "Challenge coin", also, how and when is it used?

A coin is used in one of the degrees in one of my jurisdictions. It doesn't happen the same way in my other jurisdictions. For jurisdictions that use a coin it can be called that.

jhirshon

I am using NW Mint as we speak for our Lodge coins, pins and jewels. They have impressed me so far.