My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Education Game Ideas Needed

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
Brothers,

Does anyone have any Masonic Education Game Ideas? I have come up with some that I use in my Lodge. The most liked one was a Masonic Jeopardy game that I made with power point. We play it on a large screen with a projector attached to the laptop. I would like some more ideas if anyone can help. Masonic Education is one of the highest priorities at our Lodge and keeping things interesting is important to keep Brothers coming back excited to learn. I was also thinking about starting some kind of traveling education team if there is another Lodge within the commuting area interested in doing the same thing. We could schedule an education night to be taught by the visiting Lodge and the return the same courtesy. I think it would promote Masonic Education and help develope relationships between Lodges. This would then help the Lodges grow and expand by sharing ideas and information. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Fraternally,
Kyle Humphries
Senior Deacon
Spring Lodge #1174

H

Huw

Hi Kyle et all.

The American concept of masonic education interests me. I'm not clear exactly what it involves. Whom do you educate, and about what? Can you give examples of what is involved?

T & F,

Huw

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
Huw,

Well, I'm sure you probably know this already but are used to referring to it differently. Basically, depending on the jurisdiction, we are required to memorize certain portions of the 3 degrees(Q&A), turn in what we memorized and be found proficient in the "Esoteric Work" before proceeding to another degree. We mostly refer to the esoteric work as the portions of the degrees that are not written and the monitorial portions are written in plain English and anyone can read them. The majority of our degree work or esoteric work is not written but instructed to each student in the time honored method of verbal instruction(Repeat After Me). The lectures are not part of our required memory work. They contain vast amounts of information that when broken down and explained, provide a deeper understanding of the ritual and Masonic Symbolism. This is just one thing that would constitute "Masonic Education". As Masons we all asked for just one thing during each of our three degrees. We just asked for it in a different way each time. With that in mind each of us in search of knowledge which is symbolically represented in the degrees. Not all Brothers retain the thing that they were required to memorize at one time. Conducting education helps those who forgot and those who have yet to learn grasp a deeper understanding of Masonry. Its not all just symbols and allegories, there is so many fun facts about Masonry that are little know. For example, one of the questions that is in the jeopardy game is; This famous Mason coined the phrase "Iron Curtain". The answer should be in the form of a question like this; Who was Winston Churchill? So, it does not have to be all symbols and allegories to be considered Masonic Education, it can also be interesting historical facts. In my research or search for more light, I have discovered that Lodges everywhere are plagued with pretty much the same problems. Sure, you have the dedicated bunch but most Lodges have about 30% active Brothers with the other 70% inactive. Most were active at one time or another and it is usually when they were learning the degree work. With some type of education program, you can bring back that enthusiasm and excitement about learning and maybe even teach those who did not crasp the concepts of our craft in the beginning. I could go on forever but to sum it up, deeper explanations of the principles of our profession and reasoning behind the symbolisms help to redirect some back to the true purposes of our order. In this forum, under the thread with education in the title and on the front page of this website is a thread about the "Esoteric Significance of the Lambskin". That is another example of what I would consider Masonic Education. To sum this up, we are not a country club and Masonry is not for everyone but those who seek true wisdom and enlightenment can gain further understanding of the true nature of Masonry. I hope this helps answers your question. Let me know what you think.

Fraternally,
Kyle

H

Huw

Thanks, Kyle, that's interesting.

Your system appears to be wider in scope than I had realised, a combination of both ritual instruction and general masonic information.

Over here we have organised ritual instruction through our system of "Lodges of Instruction". These are instructional classes meeting separately from actual Lodge meetings but attached to a specific Lodge, and usually meeting more frequently and less formally than the Lodge itself.

For general masonic information, we don't have such a structured system, although there are numerous Brethren who go around delivering papers and lectures to Lodges on subjects of general masonic interest (occasionally, I even do this myself), and most of our local Provinces (roughly analogous to your Districts) keep a list of which speakers are available in their area for Lodges which ask.

T & F,

Huw

Spring TX MM

Premium Member
Huw,

We do not seem to be as organized as you guys are with the education. We do assign an instructor to new Masons to teach them their esoteric work. Basically they teach them the degree Q&A and modes of recognition. Due to the amount of memorization that is required by our jurisdiction, the focus tends to be on the Q&A portions that are required. So, after a Brother finishes his degree work (esoteric work) he still needs additional instruction such as the topics I listed in the earlier explanation. Maybe we should develope a program that is more formalized like you guys have. As far as the general knowledge and historical fact topics, those are just taught for fun and to keep it interesting. Thanks for your responses Huw.

Fraternally,
Kyle