My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Email Lists / Listservs

ctp2nd

Premium Member
Howdy All,

I was wondering how many people out there have masonic emails lists / listservs that lodges, or districts, use to share information about local or regional masonic events (meetings, degrees, awards, fundraisers, etc.).

We have one down here in Bryan/College Station and, while most of the time it serves its purpose well, it occasionally interrupts the "peace and harmony" one would expect.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? JTM or I will share the most recent listserv turmoil later in this thread... there is a lot of humor with some sides of err.

-ctp

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
I use an email list for our Lodge Members & District; it includes our DDGM, our Members and officers from the District Lodges, and their members if made available to me, and Appellate Org at our lodge. It is a monthly calendar, Trestle Board, with all activates in our lodge and District that is made available to me. I also send out emails of special functions Birthday, Awards, and etc. That comes up during the month, and a copy of calendar is included in all correspondence mailed to members. I had rather have an email address than a street address. It is a lot cheaper than mailing a hard copy. Ours is accepted as intended unless I miss something and then they let me know for correction. I use a Excel for the Trestle Board and make it up for the year as a template then add as needed.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
we have it set up so that if someone sends an email to this listserv (just an email address), there's a computer on the other side that knows to send it to everyone signed up to this service (it's free).

so, anyone can send an email, technically, but the "generally accepted rules" are WMs posting their lodge meetings and what will be going on and masonic appendant body meetings.

this is on the bottom of every email:

-------- Items regarding events of Masonic organizations and appendant bodies in the Brazos Valley, Texas, area. To post to the list send a message to _(i blanked out the email)_

it doesn't always work out that way, though, and people get all dramatic on it.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
lol. Boy scouts. 'this is/should be a christian nation.' just to name a couple recent ones.

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ours is manual and does nothing automatic. It is just a way to keep brother informed about district at low or no cost. We do use a Shrine Unit, Phone Tree, in South Carolina. For phone announcements by WM or Sec. it runs us about $10.00/$15.00 a month for phone messages. What did it take to set up your listservs?

ctp2nd

Premium Member
Our Secretary and about 10 minutes. Texas A&M University has a free system for listserv's for employees and student organizations to use for their own purposes. Our secretary once worked for the University and set it up some time ago.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I guess those of us in Robertson County use this forum for our communications... At least, I get more info shared with the Brothers on here, than anywhere else other than a meeting, or text message. I am interested in the B/CS group, if it open to those of us across the county line, and in a different District. I have thought about doing a newsletter for our Lodge on the internet, but we don't have that many who use it, and as I said, we share a lot on here.