My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Involvement

iainmason

Ensor Notes February 18, 2003

My Brethren and friends,

I want to follow up on my message from the last meeting and talk about Masonic Involvement. This involvement must take place both in the Lodge and our Communities. It will only be through our actions that Masonry will be kept alive and well. This letter is especially for all those who have joined masonry recently, for any young first time officers, and also a lesson for those of us who have been around for a long time. We must never sit on our laurels for so much can pass us by so quickly and leave us wondering at what happened. We are needed to blaze the trail for others to follow.

For those who just a few short years ago joined a Masonic Lodge, you began your journey to the East in darkness and slowly you were brought to that wonderful light that shines brightly and figuratively in the East. As all who have gone before you, the members and Past Masters of this lodge and the Craft, have aided us all in this journey. We were taught by their example, their hard work and most importantly by the lights they kindled to show us the way. Their only wish was that we would tend these lights, keeping them kindled that we might leave them bright for those who follow us.

I can think of no better way to point out this than to quote an excerpt from a talk given by R. W. Bro. J. H. Young, Past Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan.

"Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime And departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time; Footprints that perhaps another sailing o'er life's solemn main, A forlorn and ship wrecked brother may take heart again." As quoted by Longfellow, this fragment of truth can be and has been an opportunity to use that God given talent of influence to the utmost of our ability. Freemasonry always challenges us with high and noble ideals, which never fail to uplift the individual who heeds its call. Masonry is the record of great and good men who were not honoured with a Victoria Cross, yet their story is that of an ordinary man each vitally interested in the welfare of his brother. Success in the ordinary sense of the word is not to be computed in terms of wealth or fame, but rather what contribution did he make towards leaving his community a better place than when he found it.

M.W.Bro. Clyde E. Hegran, Grand Master of Minnesota, related a story as follows: "My grandmother used to relate incidents that occurred in St. Paul, Minn., when streets were lighted by gas. Each day around twilight a lamplighter would ravel down the street carrying a lighted taper on a long stick. She watched him as he climbed the lamppost, lit the escaping gas, climbed down again and pursued his way to the next lamp and repeated the daily routine until the job was completed. Soon darkness would fall and she could not see him any more, but she could tell where he had been."

Brethren, let us keep lighting lamps of brotherly love and kindliness. Our good deeds must shine in the darkness as an unconscious act and yet with a very real influence in a world of fear, greed and a dominating passion for power, so that when we have passed by, others can testify what we have done "for the good and welfare of Masonry."

I hope that we will all strive very hard to be a good and honourable influence not only here in the Lodge but also in the community. I am also sure that we can count on the continuing support of the Members and Past Masters to continue to light our way, but always keep in mind there are many lamps yet to light and many sandy shores of time, in which to leave our footprints for others to follow.

Fraternally

Ian