My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Quiz

Beathard

Premium Member
Someone said it would be fun to have an ongoing Masonic quiz. I thought I would get one started. Here is the first question:

1) Who was the first native born American to be made a mason?

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Jonathan Belcher. What's funny is that I was reading a page yesterday that mentioned him. It was about the history Freemasonry in America. I don't recall the dates though.

Beathard

Premium Member
4 (3 if your picky): George Washington - Virginia; Andrew Jackson - Tennessee; Harry S Truman - Missouri; and if you count Deputy Grand Master, James A Buchanan - Pennsylvania.

Beathard

Premium Member
Brent Heilman said:
Jonathan Belcher. What's funny is that I was reading a page yesterday that mentioned him. It was about the history Freemasonry in America. I don't recall the dates though.

Jonathan Belcher born in Boston in 1681 and graduated from Harvard is about 1699. During a visit to England, he received his Masonic degrees in 1704. He was governor of Massachusetts and New Hampshire for over 10 years, and was a man of standing in civil and political life is community

Beathard

Premium Member
Correct.
Next Question.
In some of the lectures of the 18th century the term "gentleman mason" was used. For example: "What do you learn by being a Gentleman Mason?" What does the term "gentleman mason" mean?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Easy one: What is a yod?
I'm guessing it's either a place to play or three feet (a little less than a meter.)

What do the Chalk, Charcoal and Clay have to do with HA and the first known artificer of metals?

Brother Jason Eddy

Correct.
Next Question.
In some of the lectures of the 18th century the term "gentleman mason" was used. For example: "What do you learn by being a Gentleman Mason?" What does the term "gentleman mason" mean?

Speculating here, Brother.....but does it distinguish between operative and speculative Masons?

Beathard

Premium Member
Brother Jason Eddy said:
Speculating here, Brother.....but does it distinguish between operative and speculative Masons?

Yes sir! Gentlemen Masons means Speculative Masons as opposed to Operative Masons.

Beathard

Premium Member
Between what two villages was the clay found which was used in the molding of the sacred vessels used in King Solomon's Temple?

Last edited:

Jacob Johnson

I'm guessing it's either a place to play or three feet (a little less than a meter.)

What do the Chalk, Charcoal and Clay have to do with HA and the first known artificer of metals?

lol i think that's a YAHD, coach!

if i remember correctly, chalk was used to facilitate the flow of molten brass, charcoal was used to heat the clay to extract the ore... but tbh, coach, I hadn't even connected those uses with HA until your question! very cool.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Needless to say I have a lot of downtime at work so I spend my days on here and studying as much as I can in order to help along in creating that perfect ashlar.

Beathard

Premium Member
Into how many classifications does Mackey divide the the Legends of Masonry and what did he call them?

Beathard

Premium Member
I am going to leave the Mackey Legends question out there for another day just in case... But I will throw another question out there for you:

Have any Popes been masons? and if yes, who were they?

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Into how many classifications does Mackey divide the the Legends of Masonry and what did he call them?

Was it 3? I had to look that one up and in his Encyclopedia of Freemasonry the only thing I could find was three;

1. The Mythical Legend
2. The Philosophical Legend
3. The Historical Legend.

I hope this was the answer or else I will need to get the books back out and look through them a little closer. I wasn't sure if I just missed something or if I was reading the question wrong.