Masonic Ring

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Backwoodslion, May 12, 2014.

1. Backwoodslion

Backwoodslion Registered User

So when I make it to master mason My wife wants to get me a ring When I am raised. Is there a certain ring I should look for? Are there certain symbols I should stay away from? Do you have suggestions for rings?

2. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Pretty much all the rings you see are Master Mason rings. Appendant body rings are usually labelled York, Scottish, etc. I prefer the classic Square & Compasses ring myself.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Backwoodslion likes this.
  3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Wear a ring with the symbol of a degree you have earned. Don't wear a ring of a degree you have not earned. If you don't know you have earned a symbol, you have not. That simple.

The symbol of the Entered Apprentice was explained to you in the first degree lecture and if your lodge does a slide show with the lecture you may remember what it looks like. There are different symbols for the next two degrees and symbols for the degrees of the various appendent bodies. Tradition in most of California does not go against wearing a ring with an EA symbol rings with it are very rare. There are rings available all over the place with the S&C as displayed on the outside of our buildings. You will be informed when you have earned the right to wear that one.

I suggest buying a ring on eBay or at a pawn shop to bring it back into the family. I also like the inexpensive black tungsten rings - When I bought a tungsten PM ring I've worn it ever since.

4. nixxon2000

nixxon2000 Premium Member

My wife bought my mm ring off eBay. I wear it everyday. Waiting till I was a mm to wear my ring was an extremely rewarding experience.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

5. Backwoodslion

Backwoodslion Registered User

I bet I can't wait for mine also.

dorwin thuga likes this.
  6. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Not all square and compass rings are the same. Be careful not to get a past master or wm ring. Make sure its mainly a square and compass with a " G" in the middle. Past master rings have the "sun" in the middle.

Mel Knight likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I got a plain silver signet ring with square / compass. Couldn't go wrong with this one.

8. Mel Knight

Mel Knight Registered User

9. SL Cates

SL Cates Registered User

My MM ring was given to me by my teacher after I was Raised as a MM, it belonged to his best friend who gave it to him on his death bed 30 years ago. It is probably 60 years old or more, rough, worn but solid gold. I would not take anything for it.

10. Warrior1256

Quite an honor!

11. Symthrell

Symthrell Registered User

My ring is about 60 years old and it has a cracked blue stone with a gold S&C with a G in the middle. The crack has caused part of the gold to come off so the S&C are not pretty but you can tell what they are. This was my father's ring and now I have earned it and wear it with pride. One day I will buy another stone but for now I am wearing it just as it was passed down to me. My mother gave it to me after my father passed away and it piqued my curiosity, so I began looking into Freemasonry. I learned a close friend was a Mason and after speaking to him about it for almost a year I asked for a petition. I am glad that I did. My friend presented me with the ring in front of the lodge on the night I was raised! Truly moving, at least it was for me!

MarkR, Warrior1256 and WX2CIB like this.
  12. Warrior1256

Great story! You must be very proud!

WX2CIB likes this.

Share My Freemasonry