My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Rosicrucian v Rosicrucian

tom268

There are upper degree systems in masonry that use the rosicrucian symbology and philosophy in their degrees (like SCRICF or SRIA), as well as there are rosicrucian degrees in more common upper degree systems, like the 18th degree AASR that use the rose and cross in symbology, but have only little to do with rosicrucian philosophy.

The original rosicrucians were not masons, but some masons were also rosicrucians. It is likely that the masonic rosicrucian degrees found their way into masonry by those brethren. The original rosicrucians built a loose society without any fix form or membership. Later they form orders, like the Order of the Gold- and Rosy Cross in the 17th and 18th century. Today there are many orders that claim to be heirs of this old oder, like AMORC, Lectorum Rosicrucianum and several others. Common for those orders is, that they are not masons, and some of them are even plain esoteric psycho-sects with harsh ways to iterfere with the lifes of their members. Most of them are christian-esoteric groups.

dhouseholder

What is the difference between Masonic Rosicrucian and Rosicrucian?

It is just a different take on the same philosophy. It's like AF&M vs AF&AM in Texas, or Prince Hall vs. Grand Lodge of Texas.

And Tom286, what is SCRICF?

tom268

Sorry, the thick fingers stumbled across the keyboard. It is of course SRICF, Societas Rosicruciana In Civitatibus Foederatis

Payne

Well Thanks for the info and what is AASR ? Rosicrucian is appealing to me but I want to learn more first.

tom268

The AASR is a system of various degrees. The brothers of old days tried to get the moving mass of degrees, that were created in the late 18th century into a continuous, meaningful system; discard empty and pompous degrees, supporting those with wisdom in their words. But they did not form a loose collection of degrees, but rather an order of 33 degrees.