My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Twitter Group

Squire Bentley

Premium Member
Well let me say this, this is where a lot of the young people can be found, by young I man 20s and 30s. Actually Twitter has become so popular that some old folks can be had there also.

One of the things that propelled the Obama Presidential campaign so well was the fact that he reached out to the young and the casual voter. There are three main methods of millenial generation communication: texting, Facebook and Twiter. Obama touched all of those and in the process raised a ton of money.

Now if we really want to reach young men for our Fraternity and get them interested in Freemasonry does it not make sense to communicate with them via the systems they are now using? Besides should we not all try to keep up with the times, something Freemasons are terrible at doing?

owls84

Premium Member
Since our site has taken off in Nov. the response has been unbelievable (3 contacts in 4 days just last week). I have heard that Masonry is "dying" and that "the young people don't look at Masonry" but I think we have not put it out there and made it easy to find. I say we need to make our light brighter and lets use every method possible to get the word across that there are young people are in Lodges.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
You are right my brother, (neither are you to suffer your zeal for the institution to lead you into argument with those who, through ignorance, may ridicule it). If we do not show and tell what or fraternity is, then the wrong message will be given them, as you can see almost any time in the media.

For many years our lodges may have not experienced a membership problem, but with our members declining in our lodges it is now become time to look at new ways to compete with what is being offered to our young men, NOT to entice them to join for the sake of membership, g_d forbid, we should still hold high our standards as we have or have in the past.

The Answer?

• I believe that showing ourselves as good and true men is our first and foremost avenue.
• Advertize, not to abandon our past obligations, but there are many ways today that way not available not to many years ago, the internet is now and will become the way to communicate.
• What would you add to this list?

Last edited by a moderator:

owls84

Premium Member
I think the advertisement is key. We here so much that we can not "recruit" but is it not allowed to peak someones intrest? Can we not have a billboard with a square and compasses on it with a website? I mean I am not saying I am going to do this but I think we start by flooding the internet with information. I mean overwhelm people with Masonic information will they have no other choice but to call or contact the Lodge. We don't have to say anything but be visible and giving those a place to learn.

Squire Bentley

Premium Member
How about just talking about it. When I am in a group of strangers and the conversation goes to something like, "Well what did you do this weekend, Fred"? I will sy I went to a super Lodge function etc.

Thjere is no prohibition against talking about the Craft from any GL that I know. Some prohibit direct solicitation but that is not the same thing as casual conversation.

If you bring up the subject of Freemasonry now and then in the appropriate time and place more often than not you will get some questions. Now they are asking and you can go full speed ahead.

I would think that more Masons would be proud enough of their Fraternity to mention it in general public conversation now and then!

LRG

Premium Member
I brought the same idea to my lodge officers the other day.
I would as well like to run a dual newspaper ad with the display of the Square & Compasses and a phone # or e-mail addy.
I was wanting to place the lodge symbols on top with a line heading to YR, SR and FMRC, until i was informed that one could use YR,SR, and FMRC symbols w/out possible permission or that it was against laws of GL. dono
But maybe just the display of S & C would be just fine

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
twittering is something i've found hard to get into. i've been on facebook since 2003, and that's been more than enough for me to handle.

i have heard of a ton of my friends doing this though. bah. i might just sign up here soon enough...