My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonry in politics

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I don't know about in your obedience, but here's what the GLoTX has to say about it:

Art. 505. Certain Other Masonic Disciplinary Violations.
It shall be a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Lodge, a committee or any combination of Masons, or an individual Mason to:
<snip>
3. Use the words “Masonic,” “Mason,” or “Masonry” or the faith and credit of Masonry, to display Masonic emblem, for a secular, business or political purpose; or, being a candidate for office, to mention in his announcements or political advertisement or literature, or otherwise publish the fact of his Masonic connection
<snip>
provided, however, that such regulations shall not apply to:
<snip>
(f) The statement by a candidate for office in a political announcement or advertisement of the fact that he is a Mason, if such announcement or advertisement also lists his church and civil affiliations. He shall not be permitted to list offices held or the name of his Lodge or the names of other Masonic Bodies. Neither shall he be permitted to display any Masonic emblem or in any other manner to solicit directly or indirectly the vote or votes of any person or persons based on any Masonic affiliation or connection.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
In the sense of what Freemasonry does for a man, all of it.
In the sense of stating or hinting that Freemasonry supports a political candidate, none of it.

Rifleman1776

A very touchy issue. As Masons we should be good citizens and participate in the political process even if that only means voting. Masonry has been political since day one. The American Revolution would not have happened without Masons. Most of the signers of the Delaration of Independance were Masons. But, today, there are enough misinformed people who are anti-Mason to varying degrees that it would not be advantageous for a candidate to announce he is a Mason. I know, I am very politically involved.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
A very touchy issue. As Masons we should be good citizens and participate in the political process even if that only means voting. Masonry has been political since day one. The American Revolution would not have happened without Masons. Most of the signers of the Delaration of Independance were Masons. But, today, there are enough misinformed people who are anti-Mason to varying degrees that it would not be advantageous for a candidate to announce he is a Mason. I know, I am very politically involved.
I agree. Some misinformed people believe that Masonry is the personification of everything wrong or evil. You just have to look at some of the outlandish posting on the internet regarding Masonry to see this.