My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonry in Soviet Encyclopedia. True or false?

R

Ressam

Greetings Dear Gentlemen!
I've gota Soviet Encyclopedic Dictionary(Chief Editor A.M.Prokhorov, 1982 edition).
In the article -- "Masonry" there's written one interesting point! I'll write original text & translate.
[...Масоны стремились создать тайную всемирную организацию с утопической целью мирного объединения человечества в религиозном братском союзе...]
Translation:
[...Masons tried to create secret world organization -- with the utopic goal of -- peaceful union of humanity -- in the religious fraternal union...]
The point that checked my interest is: as I've understand -- Freemasonry has one goal -- "Making good men better".
But Soviet Academicians also were thinkin' that Freemasonry has goal "towards Humanity".
Are they wrong?
Thank you! :)

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Smells like fertilizer to me...
Anything that starts with "secret word organization" is usually false information. The Soviets outlawed Masonry, so their writing on the subject is usually skewed towards the anti side of the coin.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Anything that starts with "secret word organization" is usually false information. The Soviets outlawed Masonry, so their writing on the subject is usually skewed towards the anti side of the coin.
Agreed.

R

Ressam

Thanks for the answer, Mr. JC.
I've heard that(it's not 100% exact info.) in Soviet Times -- KGB(government) had given permission to some citizens to initiate abroad. And, probably, later -- there've been occured -- "wild"(clandestine) lodges.
What checked my attention is -- "utopic goal"! "Peaceful Union of Humanity". Through Masonic Fraternity. Is it wrong? Thanks!

Elexir

Sorry but no, freemasonry in russia and east europe has a bit of an odd story but in short is was banned both by the Tsar and the Communist regime, our lodges in Finland had to close becuse of this.
The hoax "Protocols of the elders of Zion" was made by the Tsars secret police.

As a trivia, before it was banned one of the rites that where practiced in russia was the Swedish rite.