My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military quote of the day

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"When I joined the military it was illegal to be homosexual,

then it became optional.

I'm getting out before it becomes mandatory."

Rec'd from Sgt/Maj. W.E. Steigerwald, USMC (ret.)

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
so he's quitting the military because they might/do allow homosexuality?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
You know, I have to laugh sometimes at the idea of the roughest, tough as nails, of our society getting squeamish over this.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Obviously (I guess). But many gay men have and are.

But let's not pretend as if there is total agreement on this either by those who have.

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
I did over 20 years in the military in a combat MOS and have deployed several times. I do not have any issues with serving with a gay man/woman whatsoever, in fact I have in the past and would have their back as they would have mine! The individual I mention I would serve with again at a drop of the hat as he was a damn good soldier!

Steve

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I take it you have never served?
nope. however, i work with them all the time, and there was even 1 or 2 in the locker room when i played football.

so, why shouldn't homosexuals be in the military?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Here's an example where the current policy decreases our security:

"The lack of qualified translators has been a pressing issue for some time — the Army had filled only half its authorized positions for Arabic translators in 2001. Cables went untranslated on Sept. 10 that might have prevented the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11. Today, the American Embassy in Baghdad has nearly 1,000 personnel, but only a handful of fluent Arabic speakers.
My supervisors did not want to lose me. Most of my peers knew I was gay, and that didn’t bother them. I was always accepted as a member of the team. And my experience was not anomalous: polls of veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan show an overwhelming majority are comfortable with gays. Many were aware of at least one gay person in their unit and had no problem with it.
consider: more than 58 Arabic linguists have been kicked out since “don’t ask, don’t tell†was instituted. How much valuable intelligence could those men and women be providing today to troops in harm’s way?"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/08/opinion/08benjamin.html

Wingnut

Premium Member
If he didnt tell and the supervisor didnt ask how was it known?

I never had a problem with serving with homosexuals. Knew many including 2 that worked for me for a short time before they were booted out (unrelated issues).

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
well, if they ever wanted to you use it against you, couldn't they?

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I think ALL of you missed the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It being made MANDATORY to BE Homosexual....... I'd walk away from that too, I prefer my present preference, but won't belittle another, "turn them out", or work against them based on their preferences. I just don't agree with it for myself, as was the Sgt/Major's preference. I was not subjected to anyone that I was aware of when I was in. At that time, it was definitely frowned upon anyway. Now in later life, it is more prevalent it seems, and has become a way of life for MANY. When I was in, and the units I served with, I am sure these folks would not have been welcome, or would not have lasted long in them. It was by request you got there, but it was total commitment you stayed. Different "strokes" for different folks. This is the Humor Section, so laugh some, and LIGHTEN UP when in here!!!!!!!!!!!!