My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirabreau B Lamar

owls84

Premium Member
What is this award? Can someone explain the history behind it and what the criteria (other than just giving a scholarship out) is for this scholarship? I have asked a few GL officials but no response.

dhouseholder

What we do, and I am not saying this is the only way, but we have students from the surrounding districts write an essay on one of the Masonic founding fathers. The chairman usually delivers the scholarship packet to each school and the counselors hand them out to the interested kids. The applicants also have to give a bunch of information like income, SAT scores, letters of recommendation, and so on. Then a bunch of brothers sit around one night and read all of the papers, look at the info, and decide on the recipients. We serve 2 large and 2 small districts and we usually get about 20-25 applicants each year. Then, we try to make enough money off of the BBQ, auctions, and such to pay for the scholarships.

LRG

Premium Member
SugarLand. You guys stay busy. And you don't confer the MB Lamar award?

By the way thanks to ya'll for the help with Galveston Beach House for El Campo Lodge repair fund.

Could you pm me w/the name of Larry Elkins cousin of same

LRG

Premium Member
Wait a minute SugarLand does the MB Lamar award.

This award is is bestowed upon any educator in the school system by the local lodge.

What i'm looking for is how does the lodge go about the procedure. I know we touched upon this subject at the wardens retreat. But i just can not find it.

Chaplin the Elder

This award is is bestowed upon any educator in the school system by the local lodge.

What i'm looking for is how does the lodge go about the procedure. I know we touched upon this subject at the wardens retreat. But i just can not find it.

Bro. Larry,

Look in the Lodge Monitor Page 206.

Chaplin the Elder

What we do, and I am not saying this is the only way, but we have students from the surrounding districts write an essay on one of the Masonic founding fathers. The chairman usually delivers the scholarship packet to each school and the counselors hand them out to the interested kids. The applicants also have to give a bunch of information like income, SAT scores, letters of recommendation, and so on. Then a bunch of brothers sit around one night and read all of the papers, look at the info, and decide on the recipients. We serve 2 large and 2 small districts and we usually get about 20-25 applicants each year. Then, we try to make enough money off of the BBQ, auctions, and such to pay for the scholarships.

Brother,

Would you please pm me? I would like to speak to you about this. I am trying to revamp how my lodge gives out scholarships and this sounds like the direction I would like to move towards.

Thank you,

dhouseholder

SugarLand. You guys stay busy. And you don't confer the MB Lamar award?
LOL! Yes, I really believe we are one of the most active lodges in Houston; we have more work than Atlas, and we love every minute!:D Yes, we present the fake "big checks" to the students at the Scholarship BBQ event. Then we hold a public lodge (at our lodge at the next stated meeting) to give the honorariums (MBL Award) to the Teachers of the Year in each of the surrounding districts, which is 4 districts times 2 per district (elementary and secondary). Then we give the teachers a chance to speak a little, which they are usually quite honored to.

As a side note, our current JD was a recipient of it while he was in high school and came back after college and joined the lodge because he was impressed by Masonry!

By the way thanks to ya'll for the help with Galveston Beach House for El Campo Lodge repair fund.
HAHA! While I was not at that particular function, I am a regular member of the Creative Coastal Committee (as a matter of fact, this weekend is the annual Grand Precession as it where at the Grand Lodge of the Galveston Beach House ;)) and that house has raised a good sum of funds for our lodge.

Could you pm me w/the name of Larry Elkins cousin of same
PM sent.

Correct.

As far as I know, correct.

We call the teachers and ask them to come, when they do, our WM and MC present them with the honorarium (about $500) and the a certificate which, I am to believe, Bro. Secretary gets from GL. Does this clarify?

Brother,

Would you please pm me? I would like to speak to you about this. I am trying to revamp how my lodge gives out scholarships and this sounds like the direction I would like to move towards.

Thank you,
PM sent Brother.

Glad I could be of service here. And if I sounded like I was bragging about my lodge, no offense to anyone, but I was. I am very proud of it. I am not saying that we are any better than anyone or any other lodge by any means, and I know that a lot of lodges don't have the same resources we do.

LRG

Premium Member
Thank you to all brothers.

Sugarland/ you guys are awesome

Last edited:

Wingnut

Premium Member
I do believe in the LIFE book it was pointed out that the Lamar award was for a student not educator, but in the past we gave it to teachers or administrators...

david918

Premium Member
My son and one of my daughters received the Lamar Medal from El Campo lodge. Must have been in 2000 and 2001.