Moon Lodges

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Smokey613, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Smokey613

Smokey613 Registered User

Just wanted to say hello! I just found this site and decided to register. I was wondering how many other brothers are members of a "Moon Lodge"?

2. LRG

LRG Premium Member

and Greetings to you.
    Whats a moon lodge? if i may ask

3. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl Registered User

A moon lodge is held during the full moon phase each month. Our ancestors were better able to get home after lodge on horseback or buggy by the light of the full moon. There are several moon lodges around the state. We have one in our district (Chambers Creek).

4. I recently discovered that my Mother Lodge, Parsons, was a moon lodge, though no longer. I think at one point all rural lodges were kinda moon lodges.... that's how the farmers knew to come to lodge... second Wednesday after the full moon.

5. Smokey613

Smokey613 Registered User

We meet the Saturday on or before the full moon. The best count I could get so far there about 6 moon lodges left in Texas. It was a common practice to have the meeting during or close to the full moon. This enabled the brothers to travel more easily during the winter months to get to the lodge meetings.
    http://www.burkelodge833.com/moonlodges.html

6. LRG

LRG Premium Member

Historical knowledge. Thank you for that brothers.

7. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

Hello Brother, I am not, this is the first I have heard of it?

8. js4253

js4253 Premium Member Premium Member

Brahan No.226 is just down the road from me in LaVernia. They meet Saturday on or before full moon, 7:30 p.m. I have always thought it was interesting. They are a 150 year old Lodge.

9. RJS

RJS Guest

Welcome to the site!

10. JEbeling

JEbeling Guest

my grandfather was a member of a lodge around Marble Falls that met on the nite of the full moon.. ! they also open and closed lodge in German until WWII.. ! Think these were very close nit almost family lodges.. ! I know he said the played cards and was almost a social club.. ! they met to compair farming and cattle information.. ! when they closed one lodge they set the date of the opening of the next lodge.. !

11. caeservi

caeservi Registered User

My lodge is a moon lodge, we meet on the saturday on or before the full moon. There are very few left. It cause some weird things to happen though, this year we have two meetings in october and in november, but not one in September. Also We will probably have to be dark in July because the Saturday on or before is July 4th.

12. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

I was invited to Caddo Grove #352 in Joshua, TX where I graduated from the meet on the Monday on or before Full Moon, 6:30 p.m. meal; mtg.7:30 p.m.

I have always thought that was neat.

Share My Freemasonry