Morals and Dogma

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Blake Bowden, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I've started collecting Masonic goodies and my latest is an original 1871 copy of Morals and Dogma. Apparently the early copies were blue while the later editions were red.

[​IMG]

afd004 and AmigoKZ like this.
  2. Bro. Kurt P.M.

Bro. Kurt P.M. 2018 14G DCO Premium Member

NICE ....I was just reading about that book this morning...

Brother Pike was an interesting man.

Do you plan to read it or just collect?

3. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

Yes I have a copy also, good reading.

4. Gerald.Harris

Gerald.Harris Premium Member Premium Member

The copy in the picture truly looks to be in fine shape. After you read it, I would reccommend reading "Morals and Dogma for the 21st Century" You can find it at Stone Guild Publishing.com

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Premium Member

and Clausens Commentary, and Bridge to Light also...

6. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I plan to read read Morals and Dogma, but not this book. This isn't a copy of the original publication, it's an first print/edition from the 1870's. She's resting in my bookcase ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  7. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

That book can be a beating to read. Some of it flows pretty well, but some of it gets frustrating.

MarkR likes this.
  8. C_Cabra

C_Cabra Registered User

I've never managed to make it past the third degree... Tough read.

9. Robert Marshall

Robert Marshall Secretary, Waco 92 Premium Member

I received a copy my great-grandfather had in his possession about a year ago. It's not an original copy like yours, though. Very nice book, Blake, and thanks for sharing! I find the book very interesting. Much to my amazement, it has corresponded with much of my curriculum at Baylor the past two semesters. In fact, it has related so much to several of my classes, it's kind of bizarre. Especially those like Christian Heritage, Classical Mythology, Philosophy, and such.

10. lmehaffey

lmehaffey Guest

Pike is, no doubt, "dense" in terms of syntax, diction, and stranding. He's not atypical, though, of the esoteric authors of the American Victorian period....try reading someone like Blavatsky! Theosophy was all the rage during this period and M & D really piles it on, as if the Truth could be made more forceful by repeated examples from history, religion, and sociology.

That being said - I love reading this book (Bridge is my "go to" book for utility, though).

Great book find, Brother! Mine is 1873, heavily worn, and not nearly as collectible.

11. Ben Rodriguez

Ben Rodriguez Registered User

Very nice. I acquired a copy of this book, the edition is from the 40's I believe. And I thought mine was old! Thanks for sharing bro.

12. jvarnell

jvarnell Premium Member

You could listen to it on YouTube there is a 48 part reading of it. I fall asleep after two sections so it took a long time to listen to it but it took me 1 1/2 years to make my self read it the first time.

Bro.Goatman likes this.
  13. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

I have a red copy. Thought i had an original. I guess not!

14. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Cool! Looks to be in great shape.

Share My Freemasonry