My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Masonic heritage...

bama275

I guess I really should say a little bit about why my journey began.

In 1984, my grandfather passed away. He had been a constant anchor in my young life, and he was, and still is, one of the greatest men I have ever known. He was quiet, but well-spoken, stern but loving, and was the epitome of what a Christian should be. His life was a shining example for me, as my own father's life was a perfect example of how not to live. I was his only grandchild, and he never spoiled me, but he never refused me love or education. I was 14 when he died, and my life lost a lot of focus for a while after that. Besides being a deacon in the church and a well-respected man in the community, he was an ardent mason. He loved attending lodge and did so whenever he could. He never talked about masonry or the lodge except to tell me that if I ever needed help, I was to find a mason and tell him who I was and who he was. I grew up knowing to look for the square and compasses.

Several years after he died, my grandmother decided I was man enough to take care of some of his things. One of the things she handed down to me was a small cedar chest. She told me it was my grandfather's masonic things, and that I should take care of them. Inside the chest were three aprons, two rings, and two tie tacks, along with a stack of dues cards. I put the chest on top of my wardrobe at home. I rarely thought about them and only took them out a couple of times. One apron was my grandfather's. He was raised in 1943. The second apron was my great-grandfather's. He was raised in 1919. The third was my great-great grandfather's. He was raised in 1909. The dues cards dated back to 1913. One ring and tie tack was my grandfather's and the others were my great-grandfather's. Two years ago, a burglar broke into my home and stole several things. He looted the little chest and stole the tie tacks and my grandfather's ring. (It was gold and my great-grandfather's was a pewter type metal, so he did not steal the pewter one.) Of all the things stolen, it was my grandfather's ring that bothered me most.

This past December I was talking with a friend and coworker, when I noticed his masonic ring. I told him the story about the burglary and my grandfather's ring. I asked him about becoming a mason, and he brought me a petition and agreed to vouch for me. I was also thrilled to learn that he was in the same lodge that my ancestors had been in. I went home and took down the cedar chest and realized there would be room enough for at least one more apron.

I had never set foot in the actual lodge until the night of my initiation, so I was a little surprised when one of the brothers took me over to an old black and white picture and asked if I knew who the man was. Although I had only seen his picture once before, I recognized my great-great grandfather immediately. His masonic pin displayed proudly on his chest. I was told that at one time that he had so many sons and grandsons in the lodge, that it could easily be opened with just them in attendance. All of those two generations are gone now. My initiation that night was extremely special because of the heritage I have there. I only wish I had done it 20 years sooner.

In addition to that, I received another surprise that night. My former scout master came to the lodge just for my initiation. Keep in mind, I am 42 years old, and I had not seen him for several years. He had taken a new job out of state back in the 1980's and had only recently moved back to this area. His home lodge is 30 miles away. By chance he was visiting the lodge on the night I was voted on. He found out the date of my initiation and made a special trip just to be present.

I was passed to fellow craft just 2 nights ago. I hope to be raised in May.

Last edited:

Txmason

Brother,

What a wonderful story! And I would like to share my story as well.

It all started two years ago, with a trip to the grocery story near my summer home on Cape Cod, MA. Where I encounter a Shriner whom was stationed at a table looking for donations. I approached him and asked him how do you become a Shriner. And he replied you have to be a mason. Whereupon I asked how do you become a mason. And after that he didn't say anything. I figured it was because he didn't want to talk about it. So I thanked him shook his hand and left. After I came out of the store, he was gone.

So when I got home I told my mom what had happened and she said her dad and his brother had been masons. They passed away in 1996 and a neighbor who built our home in Texas was a mason as was a friend up the street. I immediately contacted them and they told all about masonry and that I should join. So I found a lodge right by our home on the cape because I thought my grandfather had joined there. Turns out he was a member in Southbridge, MA.

Anyways, I petitioned and was accepted but ended up doing my degree work here in Texas. Since I am originally from Texas and a Texan.

Plus, I got my grandfathers apron and fifty year pin and veterans medal and his brothers Masonic ring. Plus I got to see the ledger where they were both raised in 1941.

I wonder if there is a way to trace Masonic history. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

I have been a mason for two years now and am a Shriner, Scottish Rite Mason and love every second of the journey. If you are ever in Houston brother let me know.

Continue to seek light!

Best,

Jerry

Freemason Connect Mobile

rpbrown

Premium Member
Congradulations.

I found out that my grandfather and great grandfather were both Masons. But this is not about my story.

A few months ago, one of our founding members (50 year mason) brought in his grandson that had just turned 18 and had petitioned the lodge. He was initiated and passed. The night he was raised, there were 4 generations of Masons in his family that were there. His great grandfather (whom I had never met), his grandfather, his uncle, and him. Sadly a few days after his raising, the great grandfather passed away. But it was what may be a once in a lifetime thing for me to see 4 generations sitting in the same open lodge.

Last edited:

rpbrown

Premium Member
Congradulations.

I found out that my grandfather and great grandfather were both Masons. But this is not about my story.

A few months ago, one of our founding members (50 year mason) brought in his grandson that had just turned 18 and had petitioned the lodge. He was initiated and passed. The night he was raised, there were 4 generations of Masons in his family that were there. His great grandfather (whom I had never met), his grandfather, his uncle, and him. Sadly a few days after his raising, the great grandfather passed away. But it was what may be a once in a lifetime thing for me to see 4 generations sitting in the same open lodge.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I think I have a bad Masonic heritage but I am want to right that and give good one to my son. I wish I knew if any of my relative of the past had masonic connections that were good. Some mason had to have refured my Parents to the Scottish rite hospital for me in the early 60's and I have no clue who that was. I had a Great Uncle that was on the wrong side of a shooting in the Hillsboro area back in the 18?? time frame. There was a book written called "Tom P. Fiddles" that tells the story but Junas Land the guy he shot was a member of "Smith Lodge No. 31 Monroe Green County Wisconsin" and the Secretary of "Hubbard City Lodge No 530, A.F. & A. M" wrote a Resolution of Respect about Bro. Land at the time.

lawyer_taj

I had no Masonic heritage passed down to me because my father is not one, but during the years of my legal education I came across a Lewis who was my close friend. For years on end whilst in the university I dreamt, yearned and read all articles I could find on freemasonry. Even the learned SAN whom I worked with was a Mason or rather, is a Mason but doesn't say it even though it shows from his benevolence and fatherly care. Don't ask me why I didn't join in the university, there was hardly any window for such a highly esteemed fraternity as the Freemasons. We had the Nigerian-styled confraternities like the Pirates, Buccaneers and the Neo black movement of Africa with the original tenets of the founding fathers largely eroded to viciousness and violence.
It took another 3years after graduation and law school that I finally had the opportunity to be a Mason. My mother lodge is Scottish, under the Grand Lodge of Scotland and no 1619 S.C. Known as Lodge Itebite. The intrigues of freemasonry have played out many times in my life and I do believe in its spirituality,confidence and courage which it installs in you in so far as you know that you are doing the right thing. It is not out of place for lawyers to get death threats every now and then and a lawyer who is not 'spiritually grounded' may end up in bad shape. Freemasonry has given me such courage to stand before anyone and defend GOOD even with the existence of death threats, it has emboldened me in such a way and has shown me that I can be whom and achieve whatever I want to achieve.
As a newly married man I hope to have kids, and I know that someday my son will be proud to say he is a Lewis. My wife abhorred masonry before she knew me, I even had to deny I knew anything about it until after marriage when I invited her to the banquet that followed the joint ceremony of Erection and Consecration of the Provincial Grand Lodges of Nigeria, Lagos and western and the installation of Provincial Grand Masters.....hmmmmm that's a story for another day. Whilst saying my Masonic prayers daily and positively thinking, I have been able to establish my own law firm in Victoria island, the heart of Lagos state: marry my wife: own a choice land in a choices place and keep beating the odds daily. What more can I say? I am proud to be a Freemason and I will shout it loud to anyone who cares to listen because he has many a good men, better!
I greet you all and wish you all exceedingly well.
TUEDOR JACKSON ESQ wrote in from Victoria island. Lagos.

Freemason Connect Mobile