My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My thoughts on MLK day....

owls84

Premium Member
*I have to say this and most will think I'm stupid but I'll feel better.*

Today we celebrate a man who in my opinion was one of the greatest men to walk this planet. He has done more for our country than the many before his birth and the many after his death. He did not condone violence in his protest and he did not accept anything but "his" way. It ultimately cost him his life early but it is ...because of him, and others like him, that I can say that proud of where we are in America. I know we have further to go and today is such a reminder when people are quick to point out that we are celebrating a "black" holiday but this man had as much control over his skin color as you and I. He did not see it as black vs white but as hate vs love and good vs evil. I still listen to his, 'I have a dream' speech and it still gives me chills to know that someone is willing to stand up for what is right at that time and not be afraid of death. It may be his birthday celebration but his life should be celebrated every day.

If you think that Jimmy Hendrix or Pink Floyd were "before their time" take a look at Dr. King's quotes and you can tell that HE truly was before his time.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
- Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream, 1963.

Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., The Purpose of Education

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Price Acceptance Speech

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967

Quotes from Martin Luther King Jr Quotes - Famous quotes from MLK, I Have a Dream and related quotes by others

Sorry for the rant but I have come to love this guy over time and he really has become an amazing person in my mind and I have seen so many ingnorant posts on facebook and twitter I had to say something. To sit and be in his presence would have been AMAZING.

Last edited:

owls84

Premium Member
Here is the Speech if you have 17 minutes to check it out. He begins speaking after about a minute of intro.

[video=youtube;t8AxgXxmgFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8AxgXxmgFM&feature=related [/video]

cog41

Premium Member
No reason to feel stupid for sure.

Like him or dislike him. The man was good at what he did and good was the result of what he did.

owls84

Premium Member
No reason to feel stupid for sure.

I needed to say that I posted that on my Facebook page and just copied it. It was aimed at all the negative posts I had been seeing about it being a "black" holiday. Just couldn't take it anymore and needed to vent. Thanks for reading it and you are right about good being the result.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Martin King's effort freed more Booker T. Washingtons among the black population to do things that free us all. I know, I attended college with many of them. A nation that would ignore the potential to tap into such a mass of intellectual prowess seals it's own doom. Reverend King's efforts freed more than black people, it also did much to help poor people of any color this nation over.

I shutter every time I hear a person disavow this great American hero who is personally better off for Rev. King having come our way.

We can sometimes be so small as to miss the blessings sent us. "When will we ever learn, when will we ever learn."

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
I don't know what it is to feel like a black man who has been mistreated. I do, however, know what it is to be made to feel like a dumb, uneducated, sorry assed Hillbilly from Eastern Kentucky. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. marched for me, too.