Name mis-spelled on Grand Lodge Certificate

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by tjlonge, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tjlonge

tjlonge Registered User

My name is mis-spelled on my Grand Lodge Certificate.

Should an error such as this not be corrected .

The lodge secretary does not seem to think anything can be done.

I am starting to feel dismayed and losing interest in going to lodge.

any suggetions or advice on this matter appreciated.

regards,
    br. tjlonge

2. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

No, an error such as this should most certainly not occur, nor should your lodge secretary not do anything about it. Get it fixed and print a new certificate.

However from your later statement, I think that the Certificate may just be the straw that's breaking the camels back. If you're not feeling you're getting the masonry you're looking for at your present lodge, might be time to look at others or some appendant bodies.

3. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Your lodge secretary should send it back to the Grand Lodge and ask them to get it properly done again. If there's any charges from the GL, the Secretary should pay for it because it's their fault not yours.

Blake Bowden likes this.
  4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I too find you original post a bit strange and this it must be one if many things....

At least its only spelt incorrectly, in our lodge a Matthew became Max.... goodness knows how that happened.. but we're only human and busy volunteers, i did something similiarly stupid at midnight the other day trying to work for (not against!!!!) the Craft..

If your Sec says it cannot be helped, then write to the Grand Sec yourself asking for your name to be corrected... but your Sec really should sort it out..

5. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Well, it should be done correctly, but you would leave lodge over this?????

I would nicely ask your secretary to return it. If he is still truculent, discuss it with the Master.

AndreAshlar and MRichard like this.
  6. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

It's pretty important to get it looked into. There's the possibility that Grand Lodge has your name wrong in its records, and that MUST be corrected. And the certificate should be something you take pride in, which you clearly cannot now. Do you have a mentor who can take up the issue for you?

7. Browncoat

Browncoat Registered User

If your Secretary is too lazy or inept to make a few calls on your behalf, then go over his head and talk to the WM.

Your name could be misspelled in the GL records, which is a problem that needs corrected.

8. flipster

flipster Registered User

If one should know something of Masons, it would be that our records are correct, in order, and saved forever.

Classical and AndreAshlar like this.
  9. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

My date is incorrect on mine says September 20th was actually the 13th

10. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Or SHOULD be! ;)

mrpierce17 likes this.
  11. Cootr68

Cootr68 Registered User

Mine is also misspelled. My first name is Jeffrey they have it as Jeffery. I really haven't thought that much about it. Should I, in my case?

12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I would ask to get it fixed. It might cause some confusion if you go through the chair or for anyone, like your great great grandchildren wanting to research you in the future...

13. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Im thinking, as long as they know who you are when you walk threw the door, you should be fine.

14. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

You should get it fixed so that the grand lodge records are accurate. Contact your DDGM if your lodge secretary is of no help.

Share My Freemasonry