My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little wisdom from members

Bro. Craftsman777

Someone I know looking to petition with me, was told to read a book called The Secret Teachings Of All Ages. He was given the book by a friend, who has quite a few friends in the fraternity. Not sure what the book teaches but seeing as how he is not a brother yet, should he read or not read the book? Please members of the brotherhood, let me know.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
The only two works I would read before becoming a mason would be, "freemasons for dummies," and "idiots guide to freemasonry."

Anything that divulges ritual or work that is conducted behind a tyled door should be avoided. An example I can think of would be born in blood which uses examples from an expose` so take that with a grain of salt.

Now, I've not read the title you mentioned but if the masons giving him the book are masons coming from a regular and duly constituted lodge then I'm sure they are not going to break their oath.

widows son

Premium Member
The secret teachings of all ages doesn't not reveal any of the secrets. It's not a book specifically on Freemasonry, but divulges into its philosophy. The book would probably be better understood once you are a Master Mason.

CzarAlexis

The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy:
By: Manly P. Hall

Its a pretty dense encyclopedia and a solid starting point from which to dive into subjects such as the Qabbala, Alchemy, Tarot, Ceremonial Magic, Neo-Platonic Philosophy, Mystery Religions, and the theory of Rosicrucianism and Freemasonry. Very deep yet incredible.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Craftsman777

The only two works I would read before becoming a mason would be, "freemasons for dummies," and "idiots guide to freemasonry."

Anything that divulges ritual or work that is conducted behind a tyled door should be avoided. An example I can think of would be born in blood which uses examples from an expose` so take that with a grain of salt.

Now, I've not read the title you mentioned but if the masons giving him the book are masons coming from a regular and duly constituted lodge then I'm sure they are not going to break their oath.

It was not a mason that gave him the book, but it was a guy who HAS a few friends who are masons, who decide to give him the book

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
I heard there's a study group at the San Antonio Scottish Rite that is going through this book? The younger generation hungers for that which the previous generation ignored. Ignored or paid attention the philosophy and mysticism are there for the looking. Most brothers who seek it need to seek and find on their own. Yet another meaning to "You get out of Masonry what you put into Masonry".

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I have two copies of this book and it remains on the pile of books written about Freemasonry by NON-Masons. This is because NON-Masons can only guess at what they think Freemasonry is as they are not actually Freemasons and therefore have no first-hand experience or knowledge of its degrees or lessons. Anyone who recommends this book to a new Mason is doing the Craft a great disservice.

Manly Palmer Hall became a Freemason a quarter of a century AFTER he wrote this book and as he admitted in the 1970s he knew nothing about Freemasonry other than from a pamphlet he had read at the time.

CzarAlexis

This book covers so much more than Freemasonry. I wouldn't even classify it as a Freemason book. The focus is on the esoteric mysteries of old.

One of the best books for the esoterically inclined Mason. :)

Freemason Connect Mobile

dhouseholder

But remember: Secret Teaching for All Ages is an encyclopedia, within it are short "essays" concerning various occult and esoteric concepts. View it more as a "Wikipedia Esoterica", pre-internet.

Bro. Craftsman777

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I too have recently begun reading the book and when I get to the chapters on freemasonry, I will only take it with a grain of salt.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is very little regarding Freemasonry in this book, and has been mentioned, it is more of a general overview of many, many teachings. Anyone who would like to peruse it can find it (and so much more) on the Sacred Texts website.

The Secret Teachings of All Ages