My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Houston

BRYANT R MOORE

My job relocated me from Gary Indiana to Houston Texas .I have grown more eager and interested in becoming a mason. Wanted to know what is a three letter or a four-letter any referrals for Prince Hall lodges in the Houston

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
I so dislike the label 3 letter or 4 letter as it is incorrect. Unfortunately, it's used to differentiate the Grand Lodge of Texas (AF&AM) from the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas (F&AM). Just watch out for people who will try to guide you towards a clandestine affiliation *there are many in Houston). I sent you a private message. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I so dislike the label 3 letter or 4 letter as it is incorrect. Unfortunately, it's used to differentiate the Grand Lodge of Texas (AF&AM) from the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas (F&AM). Just watch out for people who will try to guide you towards a clandestine affiliation *there are many in Houston). I sent you a private message. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app
No its not....its used to differentiate between PHA(F&AM) and clandestine groups claiming to be PHA as they are almost always (AF&AM)

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
You're not in Texas and I believe that this is a Texas thing. Come to my lodge and you will hear it. Most don't know the history behind the letters. Before the PH Grand Lodge of Texas was formed it was know as FAAYM. Many people in Texas are not aware of the difference between Recognized, Unrecognized, and Clandestine so many get caught up with the wrong entity. At that point I explain the difference and point them to the Phylaxis Society website for further knowledge.

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
Back in the Mid 1800's most all states were under the National Compact but states started to break away and become sovereign. While under the compact they were know as Free and Accepted York Masons. That was the cause of there being Prince Hall Affiliated (PHA) and Prince Hall Origin (PHO). Both are legitimate but PHO is considered unrecognized by most lodges and the UGLE.