My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newest Shriner

Tony Uzzell

I joined Sharon Temple in Tyler, Texas, this weekend. I'm now a second-generation Sharon Shriner and I just had to share.

I was particularly interested in the fact that my wife (and mother, but she'd seen it before) was allowed to watch the First Section of the Shrine Initiation, which included the obligation and the exhibition of several signs and the grip. It's made me wonder how much of the larger Masonic fraternity might be strengthened by opening our "private" ceremonies up to the families of our members and initiates.

Thoughts?

TU

dfreybur

Premium Member
It is a conundrum that one Masonic order draws strength from privacy, another draws strength from publicity. What is not a conundrum is that the privacy is at the foundation the publicity is in the superstructure.

Hi Noble!

Tony Uzzell

Why wouldn't we want our families to be aware of what we stand for in the plainest and most obvious manner possible, by witnessing what their husbands, sons, fathers, or brothers go through to become Masons?

TU

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My Initiation, Passing, and Raising were for me and those who have gone before me. Period. My family has gotten to see me installed in various stations and places... that's plenty of sharing.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Why wouldn't we want our families to be aware of what we stand for in the plainest and most obvious manner possible, by witnessing what their husbands, sons, fathers, or brothers go through to become Masons?

This is in the Shrine sub-forum and that context matters.

For over a century the Shrine has been the public face of Masonic refreshment (euphemism for drinking) and charity in the US then spreading out to other parts of the world. Being the public face there is some amount of sense at admitting non-Masons to ceremonials and fezing. When I was fezed my wife was invited and there were plenty of non-Masons in the audience.

For almost 3 centuries speculative Masonry at the blue/craft lodge level has been private. Being the private foundation of Masonry our assemblies are for members and candidates only. We have open installations and some other events where non-Masons are welcome but most of our meetings are private and for members only.

With the Shrine we have the ability to see the best of both worlds in making our assemblies public or private. The fact that the Shrine is so visible int he public is one reason "All Shriners are Masons but not all Masons are Shriners". Some brothers chose to be private about their being Masons.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
This is in the Shrine sub-forum and that context matters.

With the Shrine we have the ability to see the best of both worlds in making our assemblies public or private. The fact that the Shrine is so visible in the public is one reason "All Shriners are Masons but not all Masons are Shriners". Some brothers chose to be private about their being Masons.

Not all Shriners are Masons anymore... As of last summer there was a dispensation or exception allowed for the Arkansas Shrine to initiate members directly into the Shrine without having to be Master Masons first. This arose from the 2011-2012 quarrel between the Grand Lodge of Arkansas and the Shrine, which resulted in Shriners International being defined as a clandestine organization within the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Arkansas.