My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Steps?

Tylerl90

I apologize if this topic has been hashed out already, but I am seeking out recommendations from Brothers about my next steps.

What did you do upon being raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason? Did you devote all your time to your blue lodge? Pursue the East? Did you go to appendant bodies?

I am leaning towards sticking solely to the blue lodge for the time being, as I feel I still have much to learn and have a lot of room to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

TheThumbPuppy

Not as advanced as you (yet), but that is also my plan when I get there.

Although in my jurisdiction it takes 12-18 months to be raised to MM, so we have some time to learn within that timeframe.

In another jurisdiction, where it takes less time (or no time at all), I would consider it even more important to take the time to learn, get to know your brothers, ask questions, learn by heart, play a role, etc, which for me is a way of giving back.

I hear that many brothers consider the blue lodge just a jumping board to other bodies, which I don't think I understand, but there you go. Isn't that just rushing to get somewhere or get a title, but the value is in the journey, not the destination?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I was raised in the month of August and four months later was installed as Senior Deacon so I kind of hit the ground running. I had a lot to learn in a short period of time but I had a lot of experienced people helping me and I had a great time learning. I had retired by that time so I had plenty of time to devote to study. Six months after being raised I joined the Scottish Rite and the York Rite. Am still having a blast!

Tylerl90

I was raised in the month of August and four months later was installed as Senior Deacon so I kind of hit the ground running. I had a lot to learn in a short period of time but I had a lot of experienced people helping me and I had a great time learning. I had retired by that time so I had plenty of time to devote to study. Six months after being raised I joined the Scottish Rite and the York Rite. Am still having a blast!

That’s fantastic! Did you enjoy the quick start at SD?

Keith C

Similar story to Warrior.

I was raised in Nevember of 2016, I attended the December Stated meeting and sat on the sidelines. That was the LAST time I have sat on the sidelines in my Lodge. The Junior Deacon was absent for the January Stated Meeting and I was asked to sit in. Between the January and February Stated Meetings the Junior Deacon asked to step away from the chair, and I was apponted Junior Deacon. Over the summer the Senior Deacon stepped down and left the Lodge due to family issues and I was appointed Senior Deacon and asked to learn the Work to stand for election as Junior Warden in December.

In early 2018 I was approached to joing the Chapeter of Holy Royal Arch Masons that meets in my Lodge Building. That had big plans to confer the Degrees prior to the Holy Royal Arch Degree in the Spring and then have a trip to the George Washington Masonic Memorial in September and confer the Holy Roayl Arch Degree in the Chapter Room there. I had intended to wait until I was done in the East to join Appendant Organizations, but it was 'an offer I couldn't refuse." As fate would have it I am now Scribe in my Chapter and will be King next year.

Likewise I planned to wait to join AASR, BUT again there was a deal "I couldn't refuse" with a huge discount to join my Valley, so in November of last year I attended the Fall Reunion in the Valley of Allentown and was blessed to have as the Class Honoree Ill. Bro David Glatty, Grand Commander of the AASR-NMJ. It was a pleasure to meet him as he is very down to earth and exudes enthusiasim for both the AASR in particuar and Freemasonry in General.

All that being said, I suggest you do not as I did, but as I say. Try to attend every event of you Blue Lodge, and focus your attention on that, primarily on the sidelines. I have had a great experince but I feel even as WM of my Lodge, Scribe of my Chapter and a 32nd Degree AASR-NMJ member, that it all happened too fast to truly enjoy. I feel like I have been trying to drink from a firehose of knowledge for the past4 years!

Bloke

Premium Member
I apologize if this topic has been hashed out already, but I am seeking out recommendations from Brothers about my next steps.

What did you do upon being raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason? Did you devote all your time to your blue lodge? Pursue the East? Did you go to appendant bodies?

I am leaning towards sticking solely to the blue lodge for the time being, as I feel I still have much to learn and have a lot of room to grow.

I think different people take different paths and they are all legitimate.

For me, I took the slow route. I think it was about a decade before I joined and appendant body, because I took the advice of the Tyler on the night I was initiated - " Don't join anything else until you understand the Craft". I am still working on that, but got impatient after a decade, but I am glad I waited because I had a good understand to apply to the Other Orders.