Non active members wearing rings etc

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Lowcarbjc, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Lowcarbjc

Lowcarbjc Registered User

If a mason leaves his lodge because he relocates and is not active in any other lodge for a period of time for whatever reason, would it be wrong for him to still, while not being part of any lodge, wear his masonic ring or have a masonic sticker on his car/computer etc.

2. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Once a Mason always a Mason. A brother should maintain membership in at least one lodge so inactive is not the same as suspended NPD.

Once suspended we no longer have any say. I think it would be nice for him to move on to other rings but I don't have any authority to insist.

GKA, tldubb and Blake Bowden like this.
  3. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

I can't answer for your jurisdiction, but in mine, he is still a Mason, just unaffiliated. Many jurisdictions will place limits on his participation. In Utah, he is considered a drone in the beehive of Freemasonry.

4. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

As Brother Glen said, it would depend on the rules in your grand jurisdiction. Typically, to leave your Lodge, you would need to either demit or withdraw. Until then you stay on their books and would continue to receive an annual dues statement. If you fail to pay dues for a two-year period, you are subject to being suspended for non-payment (SNPD), and would be the same as a suspended Mason until you catch on our dues, at which time you could be restored to normal status. While suspended, you may not participate in any lodge activities, and you may not wear the emblems or regalia of the fraternity.

A Brother who demits or withdraws from his Lodge, and does not affiliate with any other lodge, is knows as a "Mason at large." Here in Arkansas, for example, if a Mason at Large does not affiliate with a regular Lodge within one year, places him in the status of a "willful nonaffiliate" and Masonic communication with the at-large brother is cut off and prohibited until he changes that status by joining a regular Lodge. (After one year, the fellow would no longer have a valid dues card, and would be detected by that means.)

5. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

6. Glen Cook

Citation?

7. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered User

Well he's still in possession of the secrets of a mason. But the same could be said about suspended and expelled brethren.

8. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

He is still a mason until he demits and even if that be the case the OB should still be lived by

tldubb likes this.
  9. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

What Secrets?

10. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

Why should they not be allowed to wear their rings? I think we sometimes take things little bit to far, and I have not seen anything ritual or constitution that says anything to the contrary. A brother in my lodge not current with his dues is still my brother. Where in the ob does it say non-active member are not entitled benefits as a MM. By the way none active doesn't necessarily mean they are not current with dues!

Warrior1256 and Morris like this.
  11. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Brethren, I think that this is really a non issue.

The non-active Brother is still a Mason. He can still prove via the regular ritualistic tests (grips & words) other wise referred to the "secrets of a Master Mason" that he is in fact a "Brother" even though his dues card may not be current and be able to actively attend the Lodge.

MRichard likes this.
  12. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

Once taken can not be ...,,,

13. Glen Cook

Sorry. Too cryptic (pun intended) for me. That language is not part of my rituals

coachn and MBC like this.
  14. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

Well, let's try this I am saying no he does not have to stop wearing his light because in my jurisdiction once the O.B. Is taken it can not be laid aside.

15. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

Once a brother is invested with the Secrets of masonry he is always a brother ( If he took his obligation seriously) can he attend a tiled meeting of course not , who's to tell another grown man he can't wear his own property ? He's just not on the Square at that present time for what ever reason

BRO. SQUARE and Derek Harvey like this.
  16. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

WHAT SECRETS???? I'm a 32 degree mason and I am STILL waiting for these SECRETS?!?!?!

17. mrpierce17

Keep waiting they will come you have to become a 365th degree Mason even the conspirators don't have the knowledge of this it's the circle within the circle within the circle of the elite.

18. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

I guess I should have explained. the Universe is unlocked, but they just don't hand you the secrets. You have to actually look at the Universe to find them. :)

sudo, GKA, Bill Lins and 1 other person like this.
  19. Glen Cook

What if he is expelled subsequent to trial?

20. mrpierce17

It's still his property

Share My Freemasonry