My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office

MeCorby

Congratulations. Is the the same as the Junior Deacon?

Its similar to Tyler who stays outside of the lodge and preparing a candidate (as an example)
Inner Guard sits inside (jewel - 2 swords)

f072e655190b6b4cc84b87428890e9ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Scoops

Congratulations, we have our installation in November.

I expect to be invested as steward for another year as there are a couple of brothers ahead of me in the line.

Warrior, the inner guard's duties are to admit masons on proof, receive candidates in due form and obey the commands of the JW.

He's generally in charge of opening and closing the door of the lodge and ensuring the lodge is tyled. He's therefore placed close to the door of the lodge to the left of the SW.

This is considered the first of the "line" officers and progresses to the JD.

ETA: Of course, this is strictly from a UGLE-Land point of view.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

MeCorby

I expect to be invested as steward for another year as there are a couple of brothers ahead of me in the line.

Warrior, the inner guard's duties are to admit masons on proof, receive candidates in due form and obey the commands of the JW.

He's generally in charge of opening and closing the door of the lodge and ensuring the lodge is tyled. He's therefore placed close to the door of the lodge to the left of the SW.

Thank you for the explanation.
I bet you cannot wait to be installed :)

We have our first initiation in November so there is plenty to learn and practice for newly installed IG :)

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor

That sounds exactly like a JD. What does a JD do then?

Canadian Paul

That sounds exactly like a JD. What does a JD do then?

In Scottish Lodges the Junior Deacon adjusts the Tracing Boards while the Senior Deacon adjusts the Lesser Lights during the Opening and Closing of Degrees. The JD is the Conductor for the Candidate in the EA Degree, the SD for the FC and MM Degree.

Scoops

Thanks.

Ditto.
Going back to my little blue book, the JD's duty is to carry all messages and communications of the WM from the S to the JW, and to see the same are punctually obeyed.

In practice, here the JD conducts the candidate around during the first degree and accompanies the SD during portions of the second and third. He also takes the charity plate around the lodge and distributes ballot balls when a ballot is taking place.

Canadian Paul

Going back to my little blue book, the JD's duty is to carry all messages and communications of the WM from the S to the JW, and to see the same are punctually obeyed.
My 'little green book' says the same. However, I've never seen Deacons actually doing that! A good thing too! Ceremonies are long enough!

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Sounds like American lodges did away with the IG and gave his duties to the JD and the conducting duties of the JD to SD. Not sure what you mean by adjusting the Tresel boards. In both my jurisdiction the SD opens the GLs and ignites the LL. I have been in a lodge where the SD does the GLs and the JD does the LL

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Canadian Paul

Sounds like American lodges did away with the IG and gave his duties to the JD and the conducting duties of the JD to SD. Not sure what you mean by adjusting the Tresel boards. In both my jurisdiction the SD opens the GLs and ignites the LL. I have been in a lodge where the SD does the GLs and the JD does the LL

In most lodges here the Director of Ceremonies adjusts the GL. In my lodge the Bible Bearer adjusts the GL. The Tracing Boards for each Degree are on tripods in the NE and SE corners of the Lodge and the JD uncovers and covers them as needed.

A Scottish Lodge can choose to have any office that exists in Grand Lodge, so the actual offices found can vary from lodge to lodge. All will have a Depute Master and a Substitute Master, for example. When a brother joined my lodge who could play the bagpipes we added the office of Piper. Unfortunately, that office is now vacant as the only pipe-playing member we now have is now SD.

It is one of the great strengths of the Craft, I think, that the details of the arrangements of our lodges and our rituals can vary so much - yet we would all find the same familiar lessons in any lodge we visit anywhere in the world.

Bloke

Premium Member
Congrats on your appointment Corby and great to see you drop back into the board.. all too often folk are active for a few weeks, or sometimes even just one post, then disappear.

IG was my first office. I did not become a steward until after I was a PM :) I know exactly what you are up too behind that door, our ritual is Emulation based...
Rip, here the IG will mind the door of the lodge and admit the candidate who is then given into the hands of a deacon. Jnr for 1st Degree, Snr for 2nd, both for a third (when working on candidate).

Corby, I'm DC in one of the Craft Lodges - its a job I really enjoy, currently training my successor - I'm gonna be redundant and 46 years old - nice work ! I'll go back the the sink and start washing dishes again, they dragged me away from it last time I became Master.... hehehehee..