My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old records

tomasball

Premium Member
Is there any written guidance anywhere on how long a lodge needs to keep old financial records? We have consolidated three lodges, and have inherited stuff like boxes of dues payment stubs from thirty years ago, electrical bills, etc.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Is there any written guidance anywhere on how long a lodge needs to keep old financial records? We have consolidated three lodges, and have inherited stuff like boxes of dues payment stubs from thirty years ago, electrical bills, etc.

IIRC, the Grand Secretary issued some guidance about this a while back- you might want to check with him.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
You may want to go through them before trashing old ones that no longer need to be kept. I do not know what Texas Grand Lodge recommends, but you may want to keep a few for history records. Such as events, purchase of jewels, regalia, etc.

tomasball

Premium Member
I'm grateful for people who are chiming in with their own advice on the matter, but I would really like to know if someone has seen printed material from the Grand Lodge of Texas addressing this. I've dropped a line to the Grand Sec.s office, but they appareently are too busy to respond.

David Duke

Premium Member
If I can find it, I have a list compiled by GL that shows how long certain records are to be kept, I'll look when I get home, hopefully I can find it.