One Day Chapter and Council

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by Warrior1256, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Yesterday I participated in the bestowing of all of the Chapter and Councils degrees in one day. We started at 8:00 am and finished up at just before 3:00 pm. I played several parts and it was very enjoyable. We had five candidates go through. I do have to admit that I was completely tuckered out at the end of the day.

Bloke likes this.
  2. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Congratulations. Once you start working in the degrees, those parts become yours.
    For years, I worked in all four Chapter degrees, all the Commandery orders, and the Super Excellent degree. I had successfully avoided the two main Council degrees until last year, and now I have parts in those.
    So, I now have one or more parts in the following degrees:
    Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, Master Mason, Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master, Royal Arch, Royal Master, Select Master, Super Excellent Master, Red Cross, Order of Malta, Order of the Temple, YR College, Red Cross of Constantine.
    Ohhhhhhh my head! :eek:

Bloke, Warrior1256 and Ripcord22A like this.
  3. Warrior1256

Lol. Yeah, I've already discovered that I will more or less be expected to fill the roles from now on.

4. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

So the degrees are all done in one day?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  5. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

It seems so, I was a bit suprised too when I first heard about it.

6. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Sadly, yes. It is far too common in the States.

Bill Lins likes this.
  7. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Im glad we dont see any of this, it seems a bit off.

Whats the reasoning behind it?

8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I cannot speak for any grand body or their policies...
    My own jaded opinion? Fast-food mentality. It follows on the heels of other one-day events. I chose my present lodge in part because they do not subscribe to such things.

Bloke and Bill Lins like this.
  9. Warrior1256

Yes, all in completely form. I myself see noting wrong with it since all degrees were performed with the participation of the candidates. In the AASR reunions not all of the degrees are performed.

10. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Maybe its becuse of different cultures and thinking.
    While still only a master mason, looking back at my own deegrees I do appriciate the time beteeen my degrees and the spacing between my comming degrees in that I had time and will have time to see all degrees with different eyes before getting any new ones.

The only time I could see this as being fully useful is for older brothers who dont have as much time left.

11. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

12. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Sweden.

13. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

14. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

There are still some Valleys that perform all of the degrees. Guthrie OK does them all in full form over a weekend at their spring reunion. The Guthrie spring reunion should be on your bucket list if you're a Scottish Rite Mason.

Minneapolis does them all twice a year, over about a five month period each time. My Valley (Rochester MN) does 16 of the 29 over ten months (we don't do a weekend reunion at all) and communicates the rest. We're a small valley, and that's about all we can handle.

Warrior1256 and SimonM like this.
  15. kastonw

kastonw Premium Member

i know in Louisiana the do a 2 or 3 York Rite Festivals a year that confer all the degrees and multiple chapters, councils and commandys get together a d do the degrees mostly because most of the bodies dont have enough members to do the degrees there self sadly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

Possibly.
    I respectfully disagree.

17. SimonM

SimonM Registered User

People have of course different opinions about this. I come from a tradition in which every degree is taken separately and the brother can spend months or years to contemplate its lessons and try to work them into his life before he gets the next degree.

In masonry we use ritual because we believe that they are more efficient than for example reading a book about the subject. But if we are to use rituals we should be mindfull of the things that make them work. If you cram in a lot of different rituals at short period of time I see a risk that the emotional impact is lessened. You dont remember the details and you have to rely on "reading a book" about it later on. Thus we have lost the point of using rituals.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  18. Warrior1256

I respect your opinion Brother. It took me eight months to go through the York Rite. I just do not see a problem with this one day class. As members of the YR the candidates that went through the one day class will still see these same rituals over and over again and will also be participating in them. Even those of us taking these classes more slowly do not absorb everything that there is to understand about these rituals. With all of us, one day class or no, it will take us quite awhile to understand the deeper meanings.

SimonM likes this.
  19. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

Yeah, my Chapter and Council did our degrees yesterday. I was tired too. Now studying up for Chivalric orders.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  20. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I think one of the issues is whether the actual ritual produces changes in the candidate. If it does then there may be natural changes that occur in the candidate over a period of time after each ritual.

Recently we had an initiation and after I asked the candidate what he felt. He said he felt bigger - and he was quite right. He had absorbed quite a lot of light at several points in the ceremony.

Share My Freemasonry