My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Sentence Description of Freemasonry

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello Brethren

I get asked a lot about Freemasonry and came up with a single sentence:
Freemasonry is a philosophical system for good moral conduct that brings diverse men together.

What do you think ?

Do you have a good sentence like, or better than, the above I could borrow ?

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
How about - Freemasonry is the oldest, most widely spread and most imitated, fraternal system in the World.

Elexir

The problem with that description is that there is exclusion implicit in how freemasonry functions in practice Wich limits the way in Wich freemasonry is diverse.

Winter

Premium Member
The problem with that description is that there is exclusion implicit in how freemasonry functions in practice Wich limits the way in Wich freemasonry is diverse.
Who's post are you replying to? I am guessing it is the original post by Bloke because it has the word men in it? For many mainstream Masons we cannot acknowledge co-Masonry as legitimate so we can only promote Freemasonry for men.

Elexir

Who's post are you replying to? I am guessing it is the original post by Bloke because it has the word men in it? For many mainstream Masons we cannot acknowledge co-Masonry as legitimate so we can only promote Freemasonry for men.

Yes, I just forgot to quote the OP. And the division between mainstream and non-maimstream freemasonry is what I'm referring to, as well as the requirements of mainstream freemasonry.

Winter

Premium Member
Curious how you see it as not accessible. It says:
1. What Freemasonry is. At its core it is a system of morality.
2. How that system of morality is transmitted, through allegory.
3. The manner that the teachings are recorded and preserved, by an elaborate system of symbols.
Each of the three parts can be viewed as its own launching point for discussion and elaboration into what Freemasonry is. Admittedly, it doesn't prepare anyone for the amount of dishes they will be doing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
A little light that is little known... A "Morality" is a term that is a short form word used to refer to "A Morality Play". So, Freemasonry is literally a system of morality plays.

Which, when you know this, puts an entirely different meaning to our slogan.
Well, yes, but to be fair with this, the truth is it's transmitted through theater that acts out allegory, you know, "moralities!"
3. The manner that the teachings are recorded and preserved, by an elaborate system of symbols.
Well, yes, but to be fair here too, they are recorded through scripts that use props that are symbolic; many whose meanings remain unknown to even those acting out these scripts. And, I will add, they are not really "teachings." They are acting out scripts that are not understood by the players.
Each of the three parts can be viewed as its own launching point for discussion and elaboration into what Freemasonry is.
Yep. And which many never pursue beyond memorizing to act out for the newbees.
Admittedly, it doesn't prepare anyone for the amount of dishes they will be doing.
Agreed!

Bloke

Premium Member
A little light that is little known... A "Morality" is a term that is a short form word used to refer to "A Morality Play". So, Freemasonry is literally a system of morality plays.
Hello Bro.

You know I like and respect you, and more, have learned things from you and find many of your views interesting and counterpoint, but also very enlightening.

However, the expansion of "morality" to "A Morality Play" makes me want to say "prove it", not by argument, because I have read them from you before and know and accept exactly where you are coming from because of your well expressed thoughts and logic on the topic, but is extending "morality" to "a morality play" a well developed hypothesis or actually a prior statement in the ceremonial content of Freemasonry which has been reduced?

Bloke

Premium Member
Each of the three parts can be viewed as its own launching point for discussion and elaboration into what Freemasonry is. Admittedly, it doesn't prepare anyone for the amount of dishes they will be doing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Well, I guess in the first instance, you need to understand the words "morality" and "allegory" and be able interpret the phrase "illustrated by symbols" (Same is true of the OP too though in that you need to understand "philosophical")

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Hello Bro.

You know I like and respect you, and more, have learned things from you and find many of your views interesting and counterpoint, but also very enlightening.

However, the expansion of "morality" to "A Morality Play" makes me want to say "prove it", not by argument, because I have read them from you before and know and accept exactly where you are coming from because of your well expressed thoughts and logic on the topic, but is extending "morality" to "a morality play" a well developed hypothesis or actually a prior statement in the ceremonial content of Freemasonry which has been reduced?
<3

1653094364315.png

Well, I guess in the first instance, you need to understand the words "morality" and "allegory" and be able interpret the phrase "illustrated by symbols" (Same is true of the OP too though in that you need to understand "philosophical")
Yep

It's one more instance where a PLAY on words by our well-informed Brothers is far more than just a PLAY ;)

Some more:

Morality play | Article about morality play by The Free Dictionary

The first known moralities were called the Paternoster plays. The greatest English morality is Everyman Everyman, late-15th-century English morality play. It is the counterpart of the Dutch play Elckerlijk; which of these anonymous plays is the original has been the subject of controversy. ..... Click the link for more information. .

1653094856670.png

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
You're most welcome my Brother. THANKS for asking! Questions like yours remind me of the research that I've already done, conclusions I've arrived at, and keeps those memories sharp.

BTW - That research is documented in The Craft Unmasked! The Uncommon Origins of Freemasonry and It's Practice

Bloke

Premium Member
Here is another good sentence I just read:

"The focus of the teachings of the Craft are on living an upright and honourable life and applying a moral philosophy that encompasses personal development"

Came from a Supreme Grand Chapter of the Royal Arch Masons Victoria booklet.