Origin of speculative masonry

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jermy Bell, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Luigi Visentin

Luigi Visentin Registered User

I'm sorry but I have not completely understood your post. The complete answer in any case is very long, therefore pardon me if I will give you only some indications. The citation, or better, in some cases, the reference to the books I have mentioned, can be found directly or after some researches as the author cited the entire book but not the point to which he was referring. In any case here are some direct citations.

1) Regius Poem

In the Regius the author states that he has taken the legend of the four crowned from the Golden Legend:

"By the bok he may kit schowe, in the legent of scanctorum, The name of quatoru coronatorum".

The "legent of scanctorum" is a miswriting of "Legenda Sanctorum" the original name of "The Golden Legend" of Jacobus de Varagine, which was used for centuries as a "Wikipedia" of the life of saints.

2) Cooke MS. In the Cooke manuscript http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/cooke.html (and in some following manuscripts) are directly cited :

The Polychronicon (author Ranulf Hidgen)
    De Imagine Mundi

The "Ethomolegiarum (Etymologie) of Isidore of Seville
    The Master of the Stories,
    that is the Historia Scholastica

This last point is pretty important. The citation about the "Master of the stories" is referred to Petrus Comestor, a famous middle age scholar who is said to have read some many books that he literally ate them. His main work is the Historia Scholastica, one of the most successful book before the birth of the modern printing. This book and his author were so famous that the same definition "Master of the Stories" means "Historia Scholastica", that is when there is the citation "the Master of the Stories said", it means "as is reported by the Historia Scholastica". And this is valid not only for masonic manuscripts but in many middle age books from different countries (even in Italy he was known as Pietro Mangiastorie, Peter the Stories-eater).

The are other examples (part of the Inigo Jone MS, for example, is directly copied from the Antiquities of the Jews, of Josephus), but the most important thing is that in some case it is necessary to know the subject of the citation to find it in the cited book (I'm still trying to find out exactly the citation of the De Imagine Mundi, or better of the Imago Mundi of Honorius even if I have an idea but it is a pretty long explanation).

However if the right point is found every citation has a meaning and, in some cases, is really very interesting. For example by reading the Historia Scholastica is possible to understand the real meaning of the Masonic citation of the "tower of babylon".

The are also some other books "hidden" in the Legend but this requires a much longer intervention.

2. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Excellent information, thank you.
    When I get time I will run through the poem as shared here previously to test the accuracy of it.

Share My Freemasonry