My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outsider looking into becoming an insider!

NickTompkins

Well most my questions where answered on another topic on this forum....
But I still feel the need to say something on the forum. (I guess in a way looking for more answers and guidance)

I became interested in Freemasonry (correct spelling?) when taking my both of my american history courses in school. Two cases in which it was brought up was founding fathers and William Jennings Bryan. Also around that time I found a coworker that was a Freemason and that a certain program I attend has freemasonry ties through a man named Dr. Bob.

So my next set of questions I hope are not to personal for these forums and if so please remove them because that is far from my intention.

Does a social position play a role in if you are eligible to become a Freemason....
such as I'm an Electrical Engineering student at UNT and have only taken calculus 1 and engineering physics and mechanics.. I own a home with my wife and have no church affiliation. I would say that I am not a Christian but I believe in a God.
I have made many amends in my life for past behavior such as I am a person in recovery and has been for almost 5 years now. I will be 25 this Jan if this would also play a factor.

I know that some of these questions might sound foolish but I know I am asking them in hope that I might become closer to what appears to me as a wonderful organization with many principles and morals that align to my very own foundation.

Plus im not so keen on waisting time if im not eligible :thumbup:

Please be honest as I really want truth not sales pitches

Benton

Premium Member
Social position has no bearing. In my lodge with have and IT guy from a firm who's pretty well off, me, a college student, soon to be teacher, we have people who work for the city, our Master works for Texas Department of Transportation, we've had former farmers, soldiers, security guards, railroad workers, everything. Social position is irrelevant.

You do have to have a belief in deity, but it doesn't matter what deity. While there are Judeo-Christian references in the ritual itself, any belief in deity will do, so long as you believe in a God, what God doesn't matter.

Any other questions?

NickTompkins

What a quick response thank you and I would also like to say such a good forum. There is alot of junk on the internet. Well with those questions and you not mentioning that being in recovery plays a negative factor it seems the only thing left to do is go to the meetings I am allowed to go to and meet the people!

Benton

Premium Member
Recovery in itself isn't a negative. If you're sincere and getting help (substance abuse? you were kind of vague), it shows that you wish to improve your life and are making steps in the right direction. No man is perfect, and neither is any Mason.

Just because you're a Mason doesn't mean you're without flaws, just like being a Christian doesn't mean you're automatically perfect. (I know you don't classify yourself as such, but just drawing an analogy.) Masonry means you're searching to better yourself, not that you're perfect. It's an ongoing process that's lifelong. So being in recovery in and of itself isn't an automatic disqualifier.

It may cause the lodge you petition to look at you more closely, yes. So be prepared for that. Just be honest. It's sort of like applying for a job. It's better to be honest about your flaws then to try and lie and cover them up.

Last edited:

NickTompkins

Well thank you for the advice it speaks volumes to me seeking Freemasonry. Once again another value of my own spoken in the context of description to this organization. Now I'm getting kinda fired up ;-) Jk Jk... But truly I am at a point where I feel that I can only grow more through the help of others. I am also at a point where I am teachable and am excited about the prospect of having my soul fed even more. (Kinda selfish eh?)

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Also sorry to double post ...
I am assuming that this is the lodge that is here in Denton.
Stanfield Masonic Lodge #217 AF & AM 940-387-6073 316 West Highland Street Denton, TX 76201

Once again thank you for assistance

Benton

Premium Member
No, that's about right. Keep us updated about your pursuit, when you petition, have an investigation, etc. If you buy into it, it'll do wonders for you. It is what you make of it, and it can certainly be wonderful. :)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Welcome to the site Nick! Feel free to participate and ask any and all questions you may have. We're here to help you begin your journey!

Hndrx

Premium Member
I'm not yet a Mason but have been engaged in a lot of research and talking to Masons. It is my impression that it is pretty flexible as far as joining goes. The number of items that are "set in stone" as it were are minimal in my uneducated estimation. I'm currently waiting on my vote. Although, I think the vote generally goes well for most all applicants, you might want to check. The Masons that I've talked to have been very helpful and forthcoming regarding the lodge.

Bro Mike

Nick,

Good to see some more Mean Green on this site! I was at UNT from 92-96. Loved Denton while I was there, but long ago escaped to Austin.

Beathard

Premium Member
You said that you wanted to attend a meeting as the next step. As a non-mason you will be welcome to attend the meal prior to the meeting. But there are very few meetings that are open to the general public. Please don't be upset if they are very friendly up until meeting time and then send you on your way just before the meeting starts.