My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Over)dressing the part?

TheReturning

The Florida GL states that for members (officers have slightly different requirements): "The members will dress according to private taste...." It also goes on to state: "There is a philosophy in dress as in so many other things, and the dress proper to Masonic occasion is no exception. Its principle is good taste; its practice is to wear such attire as shows respect to the Brotherhood and expresses the dignity of Masonry."

Having researched further into the matter of Masonic dress code, I find the classic, black lounge suit to be very respectful attire, all the way to the gloves (the purpose behind them exemplifies the disregard for one's station in life). However, my concern is ruffling feathers. While I would never tell another Mason that his attire is too "disrespectful" or "not good enough" (we all come from different walks and have different reasons for our attire), I'm concerned that I might not get the same respect in kind. It's not for attention grabbing, I've no intention of stirring the pot, I simply think one of the best ways I can articulate reverence for the Brotherhood and Lodge is through the way I dress and carry myself. Am I out of bounds here?

Have you seen similar situations in your Lodge?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
The Florida GL states that for members (officers have slightly different requirements): "The members will dress according to private taste...." It also goes on to state: "There is a philosophy in dress as in so many other things, and the dress proper to Masonic occasion is no exception. Its principle is good taste; its practice is to wear such attire as shows respect to the Brotherhood and expresses the dignity of Masonry."

Having researched further into the matter of Masonic dress code, I find the classic, black lounge suit to be very respectful attire, all the way to the gloves (the purpose behind them exemplifies the disregard for one's station in life). However, my concern is ruffling feathers. While I would never tell another Mason that his attire is too "disrespectful" or "not good enough" (we all come from different walks and have different reasons for our attire), I'm concerned that I might not get the same respect in kind. It's not for attention grabbing, I've no intention of stirring the pot, I simply think one of the best ways I can articulate reverence for the Brotherhood and Lodge is through the way I dress and carry myself. Am I out of bounds here?

Brother we've had lots of conversations on here about this very topic. A lodge I've attended here locally(that i am not a member, and due to what im about to tell you never will be) had their JD show up in jean shorts, tennis shoes and a tshirt....i was 1 of only 2 brothers that showed in a suit...and the other was wearing black velcro tennis shoes

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

TheReturning

Brother we've had lots of conversations on here about this very topic. A lodge I've attended here locally(that i am not a member, and due to what im about to tell you never will be) had their JD show up in jean shorts, tennis shoes and a tshirt....i was 1 of only 2 brothers that showed in a suit...and the other was wearing black velcro tennis shoes

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Did you get any odd looks for "dressing the part"? I should say, any negative feedback?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I generally wore a suit to my "cowboy lodge." One Day an older Brother mentioned that it wasn't required... I merely replied "I know," and continued to do it. Never heard another word.

JJones

I wear suits to most of my lodge meetings and I've found that many brothers start dressing nicer when I do so. It really causes people to reflect on their own dress I think.

So my advice is to go ahead and do it. You'll get weird looks, maybe some comments, but the fact is that after a few meetings other brethren will step up their dress game also.

CLewey44

Ive had this before and I simply tell them its out of respect for the institution. If they get pissy and say "are you saying I have no respect for masonry? (As they stand there in a t-shirt and flops) just say "no, it's just my opinion." They won't go beyond that and usually chuckle it off as the 33rds and other "high ups" (lets not have this conversation again, yall know what I mean) notice your devotion and the other guys ridiculousness. If they do keep giving you crap, it may be time to "shop around" if you know what I mean.

TheReturning

Ive had this before and I simply tell them its out of respect for the institution. If they get pissy and say "are you saying I have no respect for masonry? (As they stand there in a t-shirt and flops) just say "no, it's just my opinion." They won't go beyond that and usually chuckle it off as the 33rds and other "high ups" (lets not have this conversation again, yall know what I mean) notice your devotion and the other guys ridiculousness. If they do keep giving you crap, it may be time to "shop around" if you know what I mean.

Excellent point! I'm definitely interested in SR and my Mother has a ton of SRs.

TheReturning

I wear suits to most of my lodge meetings and I've found that many brothers start dressing nicer when I do so. It really causes people to reflect on their own dress I think.

So my advice is to go ahead and do it. You'll get weird looks, maybe some comments, but the fact is that after a few meetings other brethren will step up their dress game also.

Thanks!

Keith C

Jurisdictional differences always intrigue me. When I inquired into membership in my lodge, through a link on the Grand Lodge website, I heard back from our lodge secretary, inviting me to dinner before a stated meeting. It was right there on the letter "Dress is jacket and tie." Pretty much everyone wears a suit and tie, a few will wear slacks and a sport coat and tie, Elected Officers and several Past Masters wear tuxedos with a tail coat. Technically ALL officers are supposed to wear Tuxedos with tail coat, black vest and black tie, but it pretty much is limited to the WM, JW, SW, Sec, and Treas. at my lodge.

CLewey44

Some of us older Brethren (I ain't "elderly" yet, dammit- get off my lawn!) who suffer from neuropathy of the feet, whether from diabetes or Agent Orange exposure, have no choice but to wear those "old man's shoes".

Bro. Bill, this a great point sir. You're absolutely correct. And no, you ain't elderly! :) That damn AO.....bad stuff.

CLewey44

I like the gloves and have worn them to one or two meetings where they were required. However, I personally wouldn't wear them if nobody else was and especially if a suit wasn't even the norm. That'd be a little pretentious maybe...

acjohnson53

Black suit, white shirt, regular tie or bow tie, sometime i wear my cognac gators, or my black gators, and white gloves. time to replace my gloves, also need to upgrade my apron...I like to dress the part, especially when we got company...never know who's coming to Dinner....LOL...no it's not A fashon show. if we get out on time might take the wife out for dinner and a cocktail, she might like that..../G\

acjohnson53

I saw it a lot when i was in the military, where Brothers wore BDU'S,because they were just getting off duty, or were on rotation at Fort Irwin, or in the field..Brothers stayed prepared never knew when you were gonna open up in the third degree.../G\

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Jurisdictional differences always intrigue me. When I inquired into membership in my lodge, through a link on the Grand Lodge website, I heard back from our lodge secretary, inviting me to dinner before a stated meeting. It was right there on the letter "Dress is jacket and tie." Pretty much everyone wears a suit and tie, a few will wear slacks and a sport coat and tie, Elected Officers and several Past Masters wear tuxedos with a tail coat. Technically ALL officers are supposed to wear Tuxedos with tail coat, black vest and black tie, but it pretty much is limited to the WM, JW, SW, Sec, and Treas. at my lodge.
Being pedantic: a tuxedo is not a tail coat. White tie is the shiny lapels with the tails.

A tuxedo is the short jacket with shiny lapels.

Morning dress is the tail coat without the shiny lapels and stripy slacks.

A short jacket and stripy trousers is often called a stroller in the US.

Last edited: