Pandemic

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by Jrich, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Jrich

Jrich Registered User

2. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Depends on your grand lodge. Most will open for stated meetings only.

Jrich likes this.
  3. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

Stated meeting only here in Texas

Jrich likes this.
  4. Forthright

Forthright Registered User

Jrich likes this.
  5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Our Grand Master halted all Masonic activity in March. He gave the go ahead to resume Masonic activities beginning June 29th as long as we practiced social distancing and a few other provisions.

Asifiwe and Jrich like this.
  6. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Lodge meetings in person might be on hold, but in my world the "fraternity" is not. Spent 5 hours on ZOOM with Freemasons on Sat night and lots of phone calls and other communications with my brothers. The Pandemic is a chance for Freemasonry and Brotherly love to shine.

Warrior1256 and Jrich like this.
  7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Our GM just restated his March decree that ALL Masonic gatherings are forbidden.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

The Kentucky Lodges are back open now with some restrictions but before the reopened we had some officer meetings as well as York Rite elections by way of Zoom and phone conference type calls. The Grand Master also had some virtual Town Hall type meetings.

9. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I'm a bit disappointed in the illinois GL. In the beginning, it was wear a mask to our business meetings, then a bunch if grown men started crying about having to wear a mask, so our GM said it was up to the individual lodge to set the rule of wearing a mask, then our DDGM is telling everyone you don't have to wear one if you don't want to. How responsible is that ??????
    Fortunately The Lodge at I belong to requires you to wear a mask to protect our older brothern, and yourself. And again our intelligent DDGM who is also a member of my lodge has the big apron to say, that we are being to political. So our master and members have agreed apon, no mask, ( one will be provided for you at the door) no stay. And there are 3 lodges around us who have degree work set up at the end of the month. So, can you really call me brother if you refuse to look after my well being, but I will look out for yours ????????

I'm really confused...........

Bill Lins and TheThumbPuppy like this.
  10. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

How in the Great Architect is it political to follow medical advice that is law for millions in this country?
    I’m confused, too.

11. TheThumbPuppy

TheThumbPuppy Registered User

There is new evidence that the virus can be transmitted by aerosol. For instance this video is in Dutch, but it has nice diagrams that explain how the virus is transmitted, and https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1 (this article is in English). WHO have dismissed it for months and are only recently begrudgingly reconsidering their position, which doesn't give you confidence in this organisation.

The thick and thin of the new findings is that in in-door badly-ventilated environments it seems that the rule of 1.5 m / 5 ft distance alone is not sufficient. Aerosols are droplets less than 5 micrometres in diameter and they can accumulate in poorly ventilated venues and be carried on air currents. Air-conditioners seem to make things worse by recycling aerosols and spreading them especially to people who are under the air-conditioning vent. Out-door environments seem to be less of a concern, because aerosols are dispersed quickly.

From a common sense point of view, it seems perfectly plausible to me. We can catch ordinary flu even if we maintain 5ft of distance from someone who's infected, so why not covid? In an office with recycled air, the moment someone has got a flu or a cold, half of the office catches it, even on another floor.

We have installed special UV bulbs inside the air-conditioners of our hotel, like they have in hospitals. Every time the air goes through, the intense UV light kills the virus, including flu virus and others. If you know how to install them, they only cost a few dollars each. Important: never expose yourself to intense UV light because it's dangerous to your eyes and skin.

None of these measures is 100%, including face masks. However they all help create an environment where people are safer and transmission less likely. I'd feel awful if I was the one who infected someone else who then ended up in hospital or worse. I also have to do my best not to catch it myself, because I'm an important element in my family's livelihood.

I'm rather worried about the Lodge activities starting again possibly in September. Some could show a cavalier attitude about the whole thing, making it less safe for the rest. The Lodge is a historic building, which is not very well ventilated. Many brothers are over 60 and more susceptible to get infected. All these factors are rather troublesome. Sometimes I wonder whether I will return to Lodge straight away, or wait for another six months or so.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    jermy Bell likes this.

Share My Freemasonry