Paper or Real

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Preston DuBose, Jul 6, 2011.

?

Stated Meeting Meals: Real Plates or Paper

Poll closed Oct 4, 2011.
  1. Paper plates and plasticware

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Real plates and metal silverware

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Other (please explain in a post)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Preston DuBose

Preston DuBose Registered User

Our lodge uses paper plates and plasticware for meals. My sense is that this is pretty common since nobody likes to wash dishes. Rather than guessing though, I thought I'd poll the audience. What are the meals at your stated meetings served on? If you vote in the poll, I would appreciate it if you would follow up with a post listing the average number of people who attend the meals and whether a fee is REQUIRED.

2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Registered User

We do paper plates. It's easier. We usually have between 10-20 show up for dinner. We take donations, but there's no required fee. I'll always put in at least $5.

3. nwendele

nwendele Registered User

We usually have at least 30. No fee is required, but we put out a pot. It always has more than enough to cover.

4. RedTemplar

RedTemplar Johnny Joe Combs Premium Member

We do paper plates. Depending on the occasion, we have 10-50 to enjoy the meal. The lodge picks up the tab.

5. MikeMay

MikeMay Premium Member

We use paper and plastic...but we still have dishes to wash afterwards!

6. relapse98

relapse98 Registered User

Paper and plastic. No dishwasher in the kitchen and I'm not hand washing. Since we're in a drought, it's a tossup between water and landfill.

We put out a jar and I hear we get enough to cover, that money also pays for snacks the rest of the month. I usually drop a 5 in.

7. Benton

Benton Premium Member

Voted other. We typically don't have meals before stated meetings. (Kind of wish we did.) We do have breakfast on a Saturday one a month, and always use paper/plasticware for that.

8. Brent Heilman

Brent Heilman Premium Member

My lodge is the same as yours. We hold a breakfast on the Saturday following our first stated meeting. Always using paper. Less and easier cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

9. LukeD

LukeD Registered User

Our local OES comes and cooks the meals for us, which are great, and we typically put in 5-10 bucks per meal. It's their way of raising money, and since we have 2 meetings a month, they do well with about 15-20 members present at each meeting. It's all paper and plastic.

10. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

20-30 most meetings. That would be an awful lot of plates. We still get hung with the dishes, pots and pans. When I was in the kitchen that took some time.

11. usmc05

usmc05 Registered User

Real plates and silverware.
    Twenty to thirty on average. More for a special occasion. The stewards do the dishes . But it makes it alot nicer I think.

12. Scott J

Scott J Registered User

I haven't been to many, haven't been a Mason that long. But, the ones that I have been to have been paper and plastic. We have a pickle jar, (here in Texas I guess you could say that it's a small one), it has a picture off a cat taped to it. Not required but, the kitty needs to be fed.

13. Bro_Vick

Bro_Vick Moderator Premium Member

My mother lodge uses paper plates with real silverware, I think as others have pointed out it is to save from have to wash 30 dishes. :)

My other lodge goes out to dinner usually before the stated meeting.

-Bro Vick

Share My Freemasonry