Pardon my ignorance please

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by JGrenier, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:43 AM.

1. JGrenier

JGrenier Registered User

Many moons ago my step-father was a free mason. I’ve had mentors and teachers that I later discovered were free masons. They all had at least 1 thing in common that I do not share. They were a Christian in one way or another. I have thought about seeking out masons in my area but I am not a Christian and although free masons are not bound to a religion I am curious if this will stop me from seeking membership. Yes I am a pagan and I am proud. Although the free masons were founded on assisting each other no matter where they were from or their faith society is slightly different then it was back then. I guess my long winded question is can I seek membership in SC to become a free mason regardless of my faith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. David612

David612 Registered User

Nothing that should stop you joining-

JGrenier likes this.
  3. JGrenier

JGrenier Registered User

Thank you I will be attempting to contact the lodge in Lexington SC tomorrow to see if I can meet with someone.

4. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Do you meet the below stated requirements and more specifically:
    • Do you believe in the existence of a Supreme Being?
    From the SC GL:

To be eligible for membership in a South Carolina masonic lodge, a petitioner must:
    • be a resident of South Carolina for the preceding 12 months; six months if active military
    • be male, at least 18 years of age
    • be a believer in the existence of a Supreme Being
    • be a voluntary candidate for membership
    • be motivated to join for reasons unrelated to personal gain or profit
    • be prompted by a favorable opinion of Freemasonry
    • be desirous of knowledge
    • be willing to conform to the Ancient Usages and Customs of the Fraternity
    • be willing to submit to a background check, and personally meet with a representative of our fraternity.

Freemasonry is proud of its philosophy and practice of "making good men better."

Only individuals believed to be of the finest character are favorably considered for membership. Candidates with pending criminal charges and/or extensive criminal records will not be considered for membership.

Every applicant must advocate his belief in the existence of a Supreme Being (atheists are not accepted in the Fraternity).

Secretary Sam and Glen Cook like this.
  5. JGrenier

JGrenier Registered User

Yes I do have a God

6. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

The part about criminal records depends on wich GL.
    Under my GL a person with a Criminal record can be a member if certain conditions are met.

7. JGrenier

JGrenier Registered User

I do have a record but that was 20 yrs ago and not who I am.

8. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Yes, however the GL he is investigating, the GL of SC, states that this IS and requirement.

9. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I know several pagans who are upstanding Brothers. Some jurisdictions are different. All you can do is ask.

Transmitted via R5 astromech using Tapatalk Galactic

Bloke likes this.
  10. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I would just petition, meet with them and be as truthful as possible. Best of luck to you.

Bloke, Adrian Martinez and Keith C like this.

Share My Freemasonry