Past Masters

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by Blake Bowden, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Now that you've served your tenure in the East, now what?

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Ritual, committees, appendant bodies (side orders), provincial and grand lodge, national offices, lecturing, visiting...

MBC, Bill Lins and Ripcord22A like this.
  3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Still waiting, will be another 14 months.

4. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

... thoroughly enjoying sitting on the sidelines and enjoying not having any great responsibilities other than degree work and committees...

Bill Lins likes this.
  5. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

There's always something the Lodge needs somebody to do- be that somebody!

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Here's a funny PM story:

I was down in our dining hall one day on my hands and knees cleaning the floor and taking out the trash. Another PM and an EA or FC comes in to work on a lecture. The guy said something along the lines of "if you are a PM, should you be doing that?" I broke out into uncontrollable laughter.

7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Love it. I have "washing dishes" for a reason because that's what I do. It's always interesting to see who joins me at the sink, and with one exception, the EA's and FCs who do so generally end up being good Freemasons. Last time I went from the sink, to the East, then I was expecting to be back at the sink, but the lodge needed a Director of Ceremonies, and the role which is quite involved in our Const. both within the lodge and also during dinner, often keeps me from the sink until right at the end of the night. I think it's really important that both new and old guys see that all should pitch in when things need doing.. .As DC, I'm the trainer of the lodge, and I also allocate the work - critical in that is running the ritual succession plan, something I tried to get going when in the East the first time but he first then the second guy in charge of it both failed. I dont think they really understood how important it was and that times had changed and our approach needed to change to.. Most Past Masters, I either suggest some projects and get them to take it on, AND OR get them learning some of the Past Master charges.... if I was not DC, I'd be doing that because I've still got quite a few to learn... ideally and traditionally the DC would know every word of the ritual, I'm good, but far from that good... but I am good at one of the critical roles, training officers, esp deacons and building everyone's confidence.

As a PM I think you have several roles, but the two most important that all PMs should be doing is smiling and encouraging the hell out of the new guys and current officers and be willing to support them trying new things..

Bill Lins, MBC and Ripcord22A like this.
  8. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Lurking quietly in the North.

Blake Bowden, Bill Lins and Bloke like this.
  9. Bill Lins

"Quietly"? YOU? :p;)

Bro. Stewart P.M. and dfreybur like this.
  10. Warrior1256

Exactly!

11. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

Attend those special classes that teach you how to correctly shake your head and mutter 'we did it better in my day' during degree work.

12. Glen Cook

Well, when the alternative to obedience to your obligation is to be severely twanged, it does cause a loud Audible gasp. We didn't know what it meant, but it sounded horrible

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  13. Warrior1256

Lol, very good!

14. Bill Lins

Another difference between jurisdictions. Under GLoTX, the phrase is "That's not how we did it during MY year!" :D

Warrior1256 likes this.
  15. Warrior1256

Here it's "We've never done it that way before!".

Bill Lins likes this.
  16. Glen Cook

I was at my Cheshire lodge today. I realise I had put on the old provincial tie that is no longer authorised. As I was going out to change, our senior difficult member was compelled to chastise me and explain "that tie is illegal." Perhaps the theories are true: the British police are so tight in that they even criminalise the clothing we may wear in lodge. Had I not been an installing officer,maaaaaybe I would have just carried on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Bill Lins likes this.
  17. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

There are various choices:

- hang out
    - help out
    - find another order in which to learn ritual
    - work out what the ritual really means.

The last is quite challenging as the ritual has been edited by generations without the genuine secrets and who knows what damage has been done by exclusion and inclusion. So very few do this.

Even fewer take up the challenge by Albert Mackey that ritual is only the garment of Freemasonry.

18. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

Haha, at our meeting on the 18th, I was getting a lift with a couples of Brother from the same village as me including our WM. One of us, not naming names or pointing fingers, was wearing the Festival tie that is no longer allowed in lodge. Luckily, after giving him a light admonishment, the WM whipped out a spare black tie that he had in his case!

19. Michael Schiavello

Michael Schiavello Registered User

The most important thing now is to SERVE THE LODGE, especially the new Master. As a PM you are a guiding light, a fountain of wisdom, and should be there to help direct / steer the lodge and assist the Master PLUS educate the newly made Brothers.

tldubb and Bloke like this.
  20. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Indeed.

Share My Freemasonry