My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Past Masters

Companion Joe

Premium Member
... thoroughly enjoying sitting on the sidelines and enjoying not having any great responsibilities other than degree work and committees...

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Here's a funny PM story:

I was down in our dining hall one day on my hands and knees cleaning the floor and taking out the trash. Another PM and an EA or FC comes in to work on a lecture. The guy said something along the lines of "if you are a PM, should you be doing that?" I broke out into uncontrollable laughter.

Bloke

Premium Member
Here's a funny PM story:

I was down in our dining hall one day on my hands and knees cleaning the floor and taking out the trash. Another PM and an EA or FC comes in to work on a lecture. The guy said something along the lines of "if you are a PM, should you be doing that?" I broke out into uncontrollable laughter.

Love it. I have "washing dishes" for a reason because that's what I do. It's always interesting to see who joins me at the sink, and with one exception, the EA's and FCs who do so generally end up being good Freemasons. Last time I went from the sink, to the East, then I was expecting to be back at the sink, but the lodge needed a Director of Ceremonies, and the role which is quite involved in our Const. both within the lodge and also during dinner, often keeps me from the sink until right at the end of the night. I think it's really important that both new and old guys see that all should pitch in when things need doing.. .As DC, I'm the trainer of the lodge, and I also allocate the work - critical in that is running the ritual succession plan, something I tried to get going when in the East the first time but he first then the second guy in charge of it both failed. I dont think they really understood how important it was and that times had changed and our approach needed to change to.. Most Past Masters, I either suggest some projects and get them to take it on, AND OR get them learning some of the Past Master charges.... if I was not DC, I'd be doing that because I've still got quite a few to learn... ideally and traditionally the DC would know every word of the ritual, I'm good, but far from that good... but I am good at one of the critical roles, training officers, esp deacons and building everyone's confidence.

As a PM I think you have several roles, but the two most important that all PMs should be doing is smiling and encouraging the hell out of the new guys and current officers and be willing to support them trying new things..

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I was at my Cheshire lodge today. I realise I had put on the old provincial tie that is no longer authorised. As I was going out to change, our senior difficult member was compelled to chastise me and explain "that tie is illegal." Perhaps the theories are true: the British police are so tied in that they even criminalise the clothing we may wear in lodge. Had I not been an installing officer,maaaaaybe I would have just carried on.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    735.8 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:

Scoops

I was at my Cheshire lodge today. I realise I had put on the old provincial tie that is no longer authorised. As I was going out to change, our senior difficult member was compelled to chastise me and explain "that tie is illegal." Perhaps the theories are true: the British police are so tight in that they even criminalise the clothing we may wear in lodge. Had I not been an installing officer,maaaaaybe I would have just carried on.

Haha, at our meeting on the 18th, I was getting a lift with a couples of Brother from the same village as me including our WM. One of us, not naming names or pointing fingers, was wearing the Festival tie that is no longer allowed in lodge. Luckily, after giving him a light admonishment, the WM whipped out a spare black tie that he had in his case!

Bloke

Premium Member
The most important thing now is to SERVE THE LODGE, especially the new Master. As a PM you are a guiding light, a fountain of wisdom, and should be there to help direct / steer the lodge and assist the Master PLUS educate the newly made Brothers.

Indeed.

K R - PM

We have a very active Lodge and we accomplished many great things during my year in the East. This is due, in most part, to the fine Officers and Past Masters that had my back all year. I personally found it very helpful to unwind for the remainder of the calendar year (4-6 months), following our newly elected WM's Installation. However, as a Junior Past Master, it is vitally important, in most cases, to be on-call for your WM whenever he may need your advice, assistance, or any other input. As JPM, always be available to assist the WM, but do it quietly (behind the scenes). After your Year, you may consider other Appending Bodies that you felt you may not have had time for while in the Chairs. Or, make yourself available for DDGM at some point. There will be plenty to keep you busy as PM. A Lodge will always need instructors, degree team members, fundraiser participants, Committee members, fill-ins, etc., along the way.