My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paying Dues during Bad Times

A7V

I was just thinking with the bad economic times we are having, are there funds or rules set up to help laid off Brothers with dues? Also, to add to that, what about Brothers who have had medical incidents and can no longer work to support themselves?

If you are a member of Shriners, Scottish Rite, York Rite, Blue Lodge (my Blue Lodge is 60 by itself) that seems like it can add up and really put a hurt on someone. I know some Brothers are members of a few lodges so that compounds it.

So the question is do Brothers just normally take care of another Brother or is there a rule to wave the Dues for that year? Maybe a fund set aside for this?

Last edited:

Wingnut

Premium Member
Problem is even our Grand Lodge is hurting, they didnt get any returns off of the endowments either. A lodge can make provisions on their own from my understanding, but the fees and dues that must be paid to Grand Lodge must be paid (around $14.50 per member plus degree fees etc). When we discussed raising dues at one of my lodges it was agree we could make concessions to older brethren or brothers in special circumstances.

Ive read that in the olden days it was considered quite the embarrassment to get suspended for NPD and brothers often demitted until their financial condition improved. Everyone knew why they demitted and nobody cared from what Ive seen.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Most Lodges will waive dues if asked but they do have to pay the 14.50 like Wing said but heck that ain't nothin. Although not being able to afford dues in TX is a lame excuse even in my Lodge where they are $100 I can gather that amount by throwing my pocket change in a jar in just 6 months or so and I am as far from rich as you can get, money wise anyway. lol

A7V

I guess if a Bro. was in the situation he would bewise to "demit" (unsure of the correct term) from his other organizations i.e Shrine, SR, YR and at least keep his Blue Lodge dues up.

At least that is what I would do.

I just I posed the question because the nation is deep in this recession for a few years now but Texas at least San Antonio has only started to feel it in these last few months. So I know that this must have been an issue somewhere.

owls84

Premium Member
This is a problem that is seeing more and more of. Like for instance I visited a rural lodge and it is skating by my skin of their teeth. But their dues are $61 a year; I don’t understand how Lodges can survive on this amount of money and worry about teaching and expanding not about money issues. I understand that we want to make this a organization where the rich and the poor can both come together on one common ground but it is like Brother Rhit said not that hard to come up with $100 dollars A YEAR. Now don't get me wrong. I believe that there are instances when it may be tough to do maybe because of a layoff or something but then those members need to ASK for help. Remember we can't help unless it is asked.

I guess I see all of these members that complain about dues then they come every month to the breakfast and donate $20 to the cause. Why not raise dues $10 a year for ALL the members (not just the "active" ones)? If you have 150 members, that’s $1500 for the Lodge to help. Then the fundraisers can be used not so the lodge can survive but for fellowship and Brotherly Love.

Sorry for the rant I just hate how people get so upset over raising dues when if you put it out there I bet you that we spend well over the minimum anyway. As for paying someone else’s dues, I would do it in a heartbeat if a brother asked me for assistance.

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
You may have seen the BBQ pit our Lodge is raffling off that I posted on another thread. The beloved Brother Mason who labored to build that paid his dues by building it for us. Well worth it considering we have now made over $3,000. Now, THOSE ARE DUES!!! Perhaps, this would be a feasible way for those short on cash to pay their dues. Take the abilities they have and apply them in a way that will more than make up for the annual fee. No?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
That is a fantastic idea longhorn and to me this is how Masonry should work in the first place, we give what we can to keep Masonry going and growing instead of a set amount.

owls84

Premium Member
I actually like that idea. Even if it is vacuuming the Lodge or whatever. I say, "there is no such thing as a free lunch."

Old Corky

Premium Member
Brothers, I don’t want to sound like a wet blanket, But according to “The Laws Of The Grand Lodge of Texas” Art. 312, Fees and Dues paid Only In Money. Lodges shall receive nothing but money in payment of fees and dues.

Having been a Ssecretary in both Hempstead 749 and Waller 808 Lodges and in light of the above GL law, when a brother couldn’t pay his dues for any good reason, these Lodges, by vote of the Lodge just pay the dues for the needy brother. On past due notices the Brother is informed that if he can not pay his dues to contact the Master or Secretary for assistance.

owls84

Premium Member
Thanks Brother for correcting my stupidity. That would explain why we have not done it yet.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Id seen that before also Bro Corky, but I also know we make exceptions for brothers that are hurting. Just my assumption but as long as GL gets its $14.50 or whatever it is this week I wouldnt think they would care how the lodge gets its portion. Of course... the lodge could pay the brother for updating the web pages in an amount equal to his dues and then the brother could return the check to the lodge for his dues :)