My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition Fee

Should Lodges Charge Petition Fees

• Yes, we need the money and the extra protection

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Maybe if we adjusted degree fees down by the amount

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I think that practise died for a reason

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, bad idea

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Brother Tom discovered about 100 years ago Ft Worth 148 had a petition fee of $75 just to get handed a petition to fill out and thinking on this for awhile I find it to not be that bad of an idea in the fact that if the pay for the petition and do not come backo they did not want to but after coming out of pocket some $$$ I bet it makes it easier to get a hold of the guy. I see many advantages to charging this fee but not many disadvantages and wonder why the practise went away and if you Brothers thought it should come back.

Skogie

The question was not worded correctly. I understood it to ask whether there was a fee for the 3 degrees of masonry and should it be charged. Not just for a blank petition form. Of course there should be a fee once the applicant has filled out the form and submitted it. I have handed out several blank forms over the years. Some come back with the applicant, some don't.

The forms themselves are free to the Lodge courtesy of Grand Lodge. Why should there be a charge for the form?

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
The question was not worded correctly. I understood it to ask whether there was a fee for the 3 degrees of masonry and should it be charged. Not just for a blank petition form. Of course there should be a fee once the applicant has filled out the form and submitted it. I have handed out several blank forms over the years. Some come back with the applicant, some don't.

The forms themselves are free to the Lodge courtesy of Grand Lodge. Why should there be a charge for the form?

Not sure how else to word it. I would take the fee after they fill out the petition but this is a fee seperate from degree fees and would have to be paid before petition is read in Lodge.

scottmh59

a candidate would be more focused on what he was wanting to get out of masonry if he was paying for the petition.

Sirius

a candidate would be more focused on what he was wanting to get out of masonry if he was paying for the petition.

Exactly! It would give the whole process more value to the candidate. Something that is free by definition can not be to valuable.

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I took a few minutes to think about it. And I don't really think it is a good idea to take any money prior to the vote and probably died for a reason. I think the degree fees are acceptable and before we initiate is a good time to have a candidate pay dues.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member

At our Lodge we require the degree fee to be submitted with the birth certificate and petition.

Petitions are not free. The lodges pay for them but they don't cost much.

Skogie

At our Lodge we require the degree fee to be submitted with the birth certificate and petition.

Hmmm. Very interesting. Arizona provides all Forms at no charge to the Lodge.

When I hand out a petition the fees for initition plus other charges are listed on the back including the annual dues they will be expected to pay once they are a Master Mason.

When the petition is handed back and filled out completely a check or cash for all three degress is collected. No other documentation is required such as a birth certificate, Driver's License or Social Security Card. While the petition has a place on it for the SS #, it is marked "optional."

The petition is then read for the first time at the next stated meeting and then sent to Grand Lodge for a processing number and approval. A lodge investingating committee is then assigned by the WM to interview the applicant. The petition is then read for the second time at the next stated meeting and a Ballot is conducted. If no black cube is present and he is elected to receive the degrees, he is notified of the date set by the WM for the degree. If he is rejected, a refund check is issued.

A monthly report is sent to Grand Lodge listing the dates of each degree as the candidate progresses by the Secretary.

Actually a very simple process.

Richard Skoglund, PM
Secretary
Payson Lodge NO. 70
Payson, AZ.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
When the petition is handed back and filled out completely a check or cash for all three degress is collected.
The petition is then read for the second time at the next stated meeting and a Ballot is conducted. If no black cube is present and he is elected to receive the degrees, he is notified of the date set by the WM for the degree. If he is rejected, a refund check is issued.

Now there is a dang good idea all three degrees at once. What is that total Brother Skogie for all 3 degree here it is $300-$400. I always thought that would make some people stiffen up on joining but maybe that is the way to go.

I also find it humbling Masons in AZ are still able to conduct their voting with 1 black cube rejecting, we have lost that privaledge which causes all kinds of problems.

Skogie

The amount charged for the degrees varies with each Lodge. Each Lodge is allowed to set the amount they wish to charge plus there are mandatory charges from Grand Lodge.

Payson Lodge No. 70 charges a flat $90 for all three degrees.
Added are the following:
Grand Lodge Fee $12.00
Geo. Washington Memorial Fund $15.00
Masonic Charities of Arizona $ 5.00
Arizona Masonic Foundation for Children $ 5.00

These extra fees of $37.00 are added to the $90.00 for a total of $127 charged to the Candidate and are collected from the Applicant upon his filling out and submitting the application form. If he is rejected with a black cube (rarely) then the entire amount is returned.

However, once he had received the first degree and should he choose not to advance or for any other reason, there is no refund of the balance.

Other Lodges in Arizona charge as high as $200 plus Grand Lodge fees to a low of $90 in a survey I made last year. We have discussed this amount recently at a Board of Trustees meeting and, considering the costs expended by the Lodge for Apron, Bible, Engraved Trowel plus Lodge overhead costs, are going to propose to the membeship at the next stated meeting to increase the fees to $150.

We do not charge Dues until the brother has passed his proficiency in the 3rd degree. Then he pays on a pro-rated basis depending upon the month of the year he is raised otherwise we would have a lot of 3rd degrees piling up in December and January.

Richard Skoglund, PM
Secretary
Payson Lodge No. 70
Payson, AZ.

Last edited:

Nate Riley

Premium Member

You can download one on the GL's website for free.

Now there is a dang good idea all three degrees at once. What is that total Brother Skogie for all 3 degree here it is $300-$400. I always thought that would make some people stiffen up on joining but maybe that is the way to go.

I also find it humbling Masons in AZ are still able to conduct their voting with 1 black cube rejecting, we have lost that privaledge which causes all kinds of problems.

I think at $300-$400 you might miss out on some good candidates. Not because they don't want to do it, but simply because that is quite a bit of money at one time. Mine was $60/$60/$100 paid before each degree, and I thought that was very fair. If I had to pay it all up front I might of had to reconsider or get on the layaway plan. Plus it would have cost me $400, because I would have had to let my wife spend $200, too.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.