My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petitioning to the "right" constitution and mother lodge.

Lowcarbjc

I am from South Africa, the lodge I want to petition to in my own town falls under GLSA (Grand Lodge of South Africa). Another lodge in a town not far from here falls under UGLE. Who to join?

My first question is, if I ever want to emigrate or visit other lodges in other parts of the world (internationally), do they "favor" masons who have joined under a specific constitution. It seems like UGLE members are recognized everywhere.

My second question is, how important is it to select the right mother lodge. Is it really such a big deal or can one move around? Any pointers in selecting it would be much appreciated.

Freemason Connect Mobile

DIAMOND.M.ROBINSON

@Lowcarbjc,

Both Grand Lodges are recognized around the world. I would suggest you seek out a Lodge where you feel at home and comfortable in. Also, once you become a member, you will have the ability to travel as a Mason and affiliate with other Lodges in your area. Either way I hope you follow your hearts desire and do your research on the different Lodges you have access to.

D.M. ROBINSON
HONOLULU LODGE F.&A.M.
WORSHIPFUL MASTER

dfreybur

Premium Member
My second question is, how important is it to select the right mother lodge. Is it really such a big deal or can one move around? Any pointers in selecting it would be much appreciated.

Bro Diamond already addressed your first question so I'll try on the second one.

You get out of Masonry what you put into Masonry. If you decide to be active the level of activity in your mother lodge effects what activities you do but you decided to be active so you're internally driven. If you want extra influence or a why to serve Masonry internally going with the less active of the two lodges you could enter the officer line and help a lodge thrive into the future. You want to see if either is at risk of losing their charter - You can help lift up a lodge that's working to turn around but you can't hold up a lodge that's on the decline. Fewer events tend to bond the smaller number of active members that much more tightly.

If you're more reactive in temperament look to how active the two lodges are and go with the more active one. More social events, more service events, more degree conferrals tend to form a wider type of fellowship.

Think about it in terms of your own temperament. Do you prefer fewer closer friendships or more loser friendships? Do you like being a part of a small or large team?

Also if you end up changing your approach you can transfer. So my discussion here is about tactics not about strategy. It's what I consider when facd with such a choice.